icon

I noticed something about new cars today

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I was at the Buffalo Auto Show today, its nothing like the Detroit or New York shows, but they have a lot of cars. I noticed something when sitting in some of the cars. Installing a HU would be a pain in the a** in many of them. The Mazda RX-8 stuck out as being exceptionally bad. The factory units are getting fancier, and are often times one piece that includes all the heat/AC controls. The cheaper cars, and most Chrysler products seemed the easiest to install a HU in, while some of the luxury cars seemed damn near impossible. have any of you installers had any new cars that have been a pain to install in??
One of the Acuras had a system that sounded amazing for stock, sounded like it had a sub, but it didnt.
Some of the cars that really stuck out for me,and would top my wish list if i can 20-30 grand to spend included; the Scion TC, Chevy Cobalt SS, Dodge Neon SRT-4, Dodge Magnum RT (drool) and the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (4.6 V8!!)
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I think the Acura TL has a Dolby Digital system in it...
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

The TL probally has a sub in it!

Car I want right now......Suburu Impreza WRX STi.....nuts....

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I forgot about the STI, that was there to, sick car!! The nicest car there BY FAR was a yellow Lamborghini Diablo, I wanted to sit in that one, but it wasnt gonna happen. They also had a Ford Cobra prototype, if ford puts that into production they would sell out before they even got to the dealer I bet.
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
my pops just got an Acura RL, I wouldn't even know where to begin to take apart the dash, the nav/cd/everything controls are all in this weird console that appears to be norrower than a din slot, I definately would not want to work in one of those
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Just put me in an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish S..... and leave me alone......All I want....

Well and some money to pay for the speeding tickets I would get....

I noticed something about new cars today -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
i know the acura suvs have Mark Levinson systems in them.  range rover upped the ante with a 13 speaker 460watt Harmon Kardon system though.  no need for aftermarket there! 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

Harmon Kardon = Mark Levinson = Infinity.  All made by the same company and all use basically the same electronics.  Main differences are cosmetics, speakers and in the EQ curves.

The initial comment on this thread about manufacturers using increasingly customized electronics system and odd dash cutouts is a concern I've had for some time.  It's really all about saving money, as many of the systems use large integrated circuits that can do much more than simply provide the music source.  All sorts of control, navigation, information and security electronics are being integrated into single chassis, which makes it far more difficult to upgrade with non-OEM gear.  It is a trend that is likely to get worse, IMO, as it is cheaper for the manufacturer to use one large integrated computerized system in a car than having to use multiple components and multiple computers with specialized functions.

And oh by the way, a Vanquish is a very nice weekend driver but not very practical for daily use.  I'll take the new Maserati Quatroporte, thanks.

Support the12volt.com
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

thank you fo mentioning the quatroporte, one of my favorites..

I also was really impressed with the Volvo Dynaudio three way setup, it sounded amazing

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
While I have yet to hear the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus, for the 1800 they want for it you could buy allot of aftermarket equipment. Then again when you paying 70000$ for a LX470...
http://caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0408cae_oem/ The automobile manufactures are not making it easy on the aftermarket industry, they want you to buy their inflated, overvalued package deals to get a wimpy 6" subwoofer and "200w" audio system for 1000$+, not buy a better system for the same money aftermarket.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic