icon

What amp to get

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
f350r 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have a pair of Westlake Audio BBSM-4 4ohm 200 watt speakers that I would like to use in my F-350 crew cab. For the time being I will have to use the OEM so called premium 6 CD changer stereo system. Can someone recomend an amp that would drive these speakers with a resonable price range. I looked at a JL audio e4300, several Soundstream, and Hifonics amps it gets a little confusing not being an audiohaulic. The amp also needs to be able to accept speaker inputs from the OEM system. I wanted to use the speakers on my home system but my current amp doesn't like the 4ohm speakers and gets rather hot. I am trying to stay in the +- $200 range if possible.
No I didn't pay full price these speakers I got them at a work auction and they are in perfect condidtion.
Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
to stay  cheap and use high level inputs, try the Profile California series amps, [blue with a line of red light]  cheap amps that are pretty good for putting power for bass.
f350r 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
There not actually a bass, they consist of two 4" and a 1.5" tweeter. The back panel is loaded with cross over componets and weighs about 12Lbs its self. All of the coils and caps are hand written with the exact specs on them. The speaker as whole weighs in at almost 30Lbs with the boxes. They came out of our QA rooms and were used to proof audio for movies back when we used to broadscast movies via beta tape, we now use HP built video servers. The movie side of our business has since moved to LA we only broadcast local channels from this site now so there is no longer a need for the QA rooms. These speakers are extremely crisp and clean.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Professional_Series/bbsm4.html
Those? errr.. ok.. but why?
Anyways, something like this http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX404 200w rms, solid wattage. Later, if you decide to upgrade the rest of your cabin speakers you can use it at 50x4 to run them. Or, 50x2 +200x1 for a subwoofer and you can build a good system with that wattage.
I’m not sure what you are going for with the Westlake monitors in your car, I would go with a set of components upfront and a subwoofer... different strokes for different folks.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
f350r 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I got a good deal on them, I will probably have to graft them into my doors as componets, I don't think they will fit behind the seats. I can put both of the 4" in the 5x7 hole and mount the tweeter in a trim peice up by the mirrors there is plenty of room in there. Seperating them from the box will loose some of the quality but they will be far better than stock. The MTX amp looks like a good deal, the local shop started showing me one of those and was side tracked onto someting else.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic