Questions on my first system!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all

I am the owner of a VW Golf, and I am 18 years of age. I would like to put a system in my car. I am going to buy everything on ebay, but would like some guidance on what to get and what to mix and not mix. I am looking to buy a sub box with subs, and an amp. I am looking for a good hit to be heard from some distance away so i thought i would go with around 2000 watts peak. Is that enough? I found some Audiobahn subs(really like the AlumQ's!)  I figured i am willing to spend up to $175 on an amp. Which amp would you prefer on powering these subs, or equal ones that are around 2000 watts peak. Again this is my first system, and i dont know much so the more guidance and "tips and tricks" would be greatly appreciated. Any audiobahn subs to stay away from or any really good ones? Thanks a lot!  Questions on my first system! -- posted image.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Stay away from Audiobahn definitely. Some good yet cheap subs on ebay (or on other stores online) is the Alpine Type R line of subs. Usually you can find a single 12 inch sub for $90 or $95. Any quality amp that puts out around 600 watts continous would work well with those like this amp: http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFZX6000
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Why stay away from them? I found some really cheap prices on these subs. If i were too get a 2000 w sub, i only need 600rms to power it? What other suggestions do u guys have?
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

i would suggest buying a nice quality powerful amp first, then getting subs.  your amp can be with you for a long time, but subs wear out, and are kind of the 'disposable' part of the sytem.  dont be fooled by the 'bling' either unless thats what your into.  and those big woofers that take 2kw arent as loud as an entry level jl 10w0 with small amps.  so make sure your system 'matches' not a 2kw sub and a 100 watt amp or a 1000 watt class d amp and a 250 watt sub. happy shopping!

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
How much are you willing to spend in total on amp and subs?  If you give us a price range we can reccomend the best set up for you.  Most of us on here have lots of brand experience and can point you in the right direction.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Also I forgot to mention in my last post, don't look at peak power ratings! RMS (continuous power) is what you should look at to get a basic idea on what amp would work with the sub(s). The Alpine Type R subs are soooo much better sounding than anything Audiobahn will ever make. Just stay away from all of Audiobahn's stuff unless its free (because who wouldn't like free stuff).
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
The Adire Shivas are great entry level subs at $125 a piece, Ive also been hearing some good things about Audioque subs. The HiFonics Brutus line of amps are a great bang for the buck buy.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I second staying away from Audiobahn. Horrible quality for the money, in my opinion.
Start from the top.
What are your goals for this system?
How much money total do you have?
What kind of music do you like?
How much space do you have in your trunk for the subwoofer (in cubic feet).
What else do you have in the car.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1999 vw golf, which is entirely open in the back. Space wise i dont know but i would say the dimensions are AROUND 4' L x 2.5 W x 2H. It is prob a bit bigger than it sounds.

I was only looking at audiobahn because of the great deals i found on them. I found a 1000 rms sub for only $68. Can i really go that wrong? You guys know more than me.

I am willing to spend around 250 on ebay, so thats prob 500+ retail. I listen to all type of music, and i am looking to be heard a good distance outside of my car. I dont know too much about wiring and such, so i would prob like it in a box. I do have a premium stereo system in my car which just means i bought it stock from vw with 8 speakers instead of 4 if that makes any difference. It probably does not.

So now with all the info, what do u suggest? Thanks a lot.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Audiobahn (or Profile, Lanzar, Pyle, Pyramid, Volfenhag, Power Acoustik, Boss, Dual, etc etc etc) are "cheap" for a reason.  They are not built that well, they don't last that long, and they feature huge distortion numbers.  Also often the rated specs are, well, lies.  Now don't take me the wrong way, I am not merely "brand bashing," I'm stating the facts based on my personal experiences and testing. 

If the "cheaper" brands are what you can afford and you like the sound, by all means go for it.  But in my experience you end up actually paying more for them since 1) they tend to fail early in their life and you must replace them, 2) they tend to be ultimately unsatisfying and you end up spending more money anyway to replace them, 3) when you get a chance to listen to higher quality components in someone else's car or in a showroom and realize how bad your gear actually sounds, then again you end up spending more to replace them, and 4) sometimes simply the ridicule of your friends for running crappy gear forces you to spend more money to replace them.  Also, I cannot recomend you purchase ANYTHING audio without listening to it first.  If you must purchase off eBay, fine, but purchase items you already know you like the sound of (meaning you have actually listened to the same make/model playing your favorite music) and only purchase from sellers offering a warranty.

I suggect staying away from bargain basement gear.  Spend a bit more and get quality equipment.  It will last longer and sound better and you will not be forced to replace it as quickly.  Do not purchase any gear based on specifications alone.  Numbers do not tell you how something sounds, and numbers are too easily manipulated.  I work in this industry, I know all about manipulating numbers and even the most reputable manufacturers do it to gain a marketing edge on thier competitors.  Always purchase from a reputable, authorized dealer so you can get service and manufacturers warranty if you need it.  The extra 20% you might pay by buying from a genuine authorized dealer often pays for iteself several times over if something fails, or several times over in the convenience of being a customer of an actual person in your area you can speak to.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic