icon

RS on 2003 F250 Diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
D.Kahler 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Need the wire diagram for 2003 Ford Diesel. I searched other posts and it looks like there is some trouble with these trucks with the tach and glow plugs. I have done installs on Dodge diesels where you tap off of the wait to start light, can I do the same for Ford?

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

The wait to start can be found at the glow plug relay....this truck is easy. Dont let em scare ya.

The glow plug relay is under the hood, on the fire wall pass side.  silver box with a green plug. The wire to use is GREEN / WHITEPOS(+) while the plugs are heeting up.

The tach is in a factory bundle under the dash drivers side. To the left of the column. A bunch of wires that are tied together, and sealed on the end....youll see. The wire needed is GREEN / WHITE.

D.Kahler 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks.

One more question. The wire table lists 3 acc wires.

Accessory gray / YELLOW & RED / black  +  ignition harness
Second Accessory blue/lt. green  +  ignition harne

Do I need all of them? The truck only has one ignition wire so I can use the 2nd ignition wire from the RS for one acc, and I'd have to add a relay for the other. Unless it's supposed to say gray / YELLOW or RED / black.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Use the gray / YELLOW for accs. 1

And the RED / black for accs. 2

The blue/lt.green not needed

D.Kahler 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Need some more help. I can't find the glow plug relay. I don't see anything close to a silver box on the firewall. This is the 6.0 diesel.

I also seem to have screwed up the instrument cluster. When I put the key in I don't get the warning buzzer and when I turn the key to the on position only half of the lights come on. I get the right side lights for ABS, check engine, but don't get the left side where the glow plug and fuel lights are. It also starts and runs, but it doesn't seem to be registering the fuel level, oil pressure, or temperature. Someone please help!!!

D.Kahler 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to update my situation. I haven't figured out were I'm losing power. I don't have power to the windows, interior lights, or door buzzer. I have checked all the fuses I could find and they are all good. I get some lights on the dash, but most aren't coming on and none of the gauges work. The truck starts and runs fine. Its seems like I blew a fuse or a fusible link that was providing the power to all this stuff, but I'm afraid I might have damaged the PCM or something, but then I wouldn't expect the truck to start. I'd really appreciate any help.  Thanks.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Did you try removing the plugs going to the instrument cluster and reseating them. I had that problem with my girlfriend's Pontiac Sunbird when I removed the cluster to replace some bulbs. The connections were a flexible circuit board material and if it's not seated just right some things will work and others will not. I thought it was a pretty lousy design. I don't know if the newer trucks are designed like that but it's worth trying. It could just be a poor connection. If it's related to fuses, have you tried checking the fuses under the hood? Maybe there are some there that you missed in with the engine relays.
Good Luck, Steve RS on 2003 F250 Diesel -- posted image.
D.Kahler 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Steve,

I thought that too and searched high and low for more fuses but couldn't find anymore. Part of the problem is that the owners manual is a little vague on the fuses and their location, in fact it doesn't even mention any under the hood. I went and bought the Haynes manual, but they only had the one for up to 2002 so I don't know how accurate it is. I need to get some good schematics for the 03 and then I hope to find my problem.

knucklehead 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like you blew fuse #35 in the underdash fusebox it is a 10amp Mini fuse, make sure you actually change the fuse and not just check it. The fuse locations and numbers should be written on the front of the cover. I own an '04 F350, so it should be the same. I went-out and pulled that fuse and it did EXACTLY what you described. This is the fuse that runs the domelight, the RPM and Speedo, and half the lights in the instrument cluster (left side.) As for the GPCM, it is not on the passenger side firewall, it is actually attached to the engine on the passenger side near the front. Let me know if this helped. Oh, by the way. If this is the problem fuse, when the RPM and Speedo come back on line when you turn the ignition on they are going to peg to the right, stay there for a couple of seconds, and then return to the left. This is normal don't crap yourself (like I almost did.)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic