suggestions on this setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shootist 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
first off im interested in a Pioneer DEH-P6700MP
im planning on running two Boston Acoustics SL65s in front, and two SL95s in rear, on a GT40 amp.
also i want to run a 12" brahma on a hifonics bx1500d brutus class-d amp
is this system gona blow everything else away??? should i change the brahma size?? the amp for the brahma?? the gt40 or gt42 for the speaker setup???
btw this is for a 92 mustang gt hatchback
oh yeah... ive figured out that SPL is sound pressure level, i dont know what that exactly means but that it is used to describe the quality of a component. can anyone link me to somewhere that explains SQ and SPL for me? or just explain it if you dont mind.
thanks
-sean
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

SQ = sound quality (good sound)

SPL = sound preassure level (loud sound)

SQ and SPL is the best, but VERY hard to achieve.  The biggest thing is to find the balance between them that you like.  Some people don't care about SQ, some don't care about SPL.  With the components you have, I'd guess that you are looking (or at least heading for) a SQ setup, with a good bit of SPL when you want it (It'll sound good, but get pretty damn loud if you want it to)

-Drew

shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok well im looking for great SQ at SPL levels which will set off car alarms. how is that for a goal?? will this system achieve that??
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

I own a BX1500D and its a fantastic amp.. but for a 12' brahma you may want to consider the BX1800D.. or even one of the new PG Xenon X1200.1 those two amps will give you plenty of room to grow.. 

I have no desire to ever upgrade so the BX1500D was a perfect fit for my system

Later

Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
i highly doubt i will add anything to this system if that is what you mean by room to grow...
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of enclosure should i go with for the brahma? i was thinking that since brahma is good in SQ, to go with a ported to make it increase the SPL?? or should i go with sealed to increase the SQ even greater???
ahhhhh im lost (and enjoying it) in the audio world and i dont want to find my way out!!! lol
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
diamondprobe18 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
i have heard the 1500d get really hott is this true? and as far as the box goes i like ported because i like to be heard but if you build it right you can get great sq from it if you use your filters right.
89 Probe Gt Turbo
1 Diamond 15 CM3
1 Diamond 600.2 D5
Plans...
2 Diamond 10 CM3
1 1200.1 Diamond D5
4 Diamond 6.5 coaxial
1 300.4 Diamond D5
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

diamondprobe18 wrote:
i have heard the 1500d get really hott is this true? and as far as the box goes i like ported because i like to be heard but if you build it right you can get great sq from it if you use your filters right.

Mine doesnt.. its gets warm to the touch, but nothing you can fry an egg off of.. its never cut out at all and Ive put it through some torture with a 3 hour road trip

as for the box no clue there since I always have to trust my dealer on boxes since I own a condo and no garage to build my own

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like you would be happier with a ported box. Based on the specs I found for that subwoofer you could build a box that is 1.65-ft^3 with a 4" diameter port 19.3" long. That will give you a tuning frequency of 30Hz which is what was recommended by Adire. That box would be small enough that you should be able to fit it in your Mustang without any trouble.
shootist 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
could someone plz explain this for me???
"The ported enclosure system is characterised by lower distortion and higher power handling in the system's operating range, and lower cutoff frequency than a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. Distortion rapidly increases below the cutoff frequency however as the driver becomes unloaded, and the transient response of a ported enclosure system is usually inferior to that of a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. However, the lower cutoff frequency and better power handling within the system's passband often makes ported systems the alignment of choice for many speaker builders."
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/define.htm#tsparam
also,
"If the driver has a Qts above 0.4, try using it in a sealed enclosure or single reflex bandpass system instead."
M&M do you still think ported is good? the qts on the brahma is 0.42
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic