icon

suggestions on this setup?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

I really don't like the definition of SPL...SPL=sound pressure level, which is the measure of sound..It is measured in units of bells...so in lamens terms SPL is how "loud" it gets..but is not just "loud" sound...every sub has spl.

As for the Brahma..It works well in both sealed and ported enclosures...if you're looking for strict SPl or even SQL...id go ported. Id only go sealed if you were going for strict sq and nothing else. Ported's the way to go IMO..but whatever floats your boat.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
shootist 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
and what if i dont trust my skills in making one of these? how hard would it be to get one with the specs that m&m gave me?? where would i get it done??
thanks
'92 Mustang Gt Hatchback
M&mfabrications 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  

could someone plz explain this for me???

"The ported enclosure system is characterised by lower distortion and higher power handling in the system's operating range, and lower cutoff frequency than a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. Distortion rapidly increases below the cutoff frequency however as the driver becomes unloaded, and the transient response of a ported enclosure system is usually inferior to that of a sealed enclosure system using the same driver. However, the lower cutoff frequency and better power handling within the system's passband often makes ported systems the alignment of choice for many speaker builders."
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/define.htm#tsparam

Here goes:

The part about the ported box generally having a lower cut off frequency than a sealed box basically means that the ported box will be able to play lower frequencies without distorting, up to a point. Once below that point, the cut off frequency, the sub becomes unloaded. This basically means that the suspension system of the speaker is unable to control the amount of excursion and you will get a great deal of distortion. I can't say for sure that all of that is right but it is pretty close. Basically what you need to know is that a bandpass box works great within its given range. This range is specified by the size of the box and the port. Depending on your box the sub may work great from 30Hz to 75Hz but anything outside of that range will not work well. I would not recommend buying a bandpass box that is not specifically made for your sub because you don't know how it will perform. Someone should be able to build you one easily if you can't do it yourself.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic