icon

Console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BlueCC00RT 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Im new to glassing and am trying to build a center console. I've built 1 already but its too boxy What do you guys use to get nice curves? do you just make mdf ribs and strech the fleece over it? or a polyurethane foam? Ive done the foam route and it was a pain to get it square. I thought i would ask some seasoned people that might have some tricks. Also any pics of floor console's would be great so i can get an idea of how ya did it

Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
use mdf to make a frame, use a router to get curves you want, then stretch fleece over mdf frame and there you go, you have curves
BlueCC00RT 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I did that... the router doesnt make enough of a curve... im not talking slight curves that a router would do... im thinking more like take a 12 sub ring and cut in half and thats the kinda curve im talking about.. not so drastic though
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
You can always cut MDF in a curve using a jigsaw and glue it down using superclue and then stretch the fleece over that.
Console -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
BlueCC00RT 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
ok so basically just make a ribcage (lack of better terms) out of mdf and strech the fleece?
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
Yes.  And you staple and glue the fleece to the MDF before you paint the resin onto the fleece.  If you stretched the fleece tightly and secured it very well, the fleece won't move much if at all, even after you let the resin soak in.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

Doing something like that, I'm guessing you have no plans of ever seeing the interior of it unless showing how to? I was wondering, how would you do something like that but where it would be removeable? Just curious.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Master, if your question was for me, can you please rephrase the question?  I didn't understand what you were asking.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Well doing a project with a ribbing structure, at least I assume here, that the support is probably going to be staying in the structure. Especially for any thing sealed(Enclosures for speakers mainly.) Now what if you did a console with plexi you can see through or an open/close hatch device, would the supports be removeable when finished?

(Note, I have little experience with F/G, much less this application, so it may be a lot easier to remove the material than I think, but with wood being porous, wouldn't the resin kinda attach through the material)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
BlueCC00RT 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the ribs would have to be removed. Guages, Sliding cupholders, B&M shifter, Switches.... I would need them removed for space reason plus i would need to get in there to wire stuff up & mount shifter... Couldnt i just wrap the ribs with foil and just use hot glue?after applying resin to the fleece and a layer of glass or 2  i was planning on cutting most of the bottom out and trying to make a flip lid for the arm rest.... Who knows i'll probably just end up fumbling through it learning what NOT to do as i go
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic