icon

Advice on an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ive hooked up two or three of those viper amps and at 355.00 that is well worth it plenty of power for that price!!!!
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
the orion and the viper are both Directed products, to the best of my knowledge, good amps, both the same, fusion has absolutly nothing to do with either of those tho, it's not rebadged, it is a very good product, at one of their shows i talked to one of the designers who said for competition they drop the fusion amp down to a .5 ohm load and have experienced no problems, i belive it, memphis also makes some very nice amps, but that's a lot of cash to throw around for their stuff
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
I called ikesound and the Orion 2400D has went up in price to $769. The problem with the Viper is it is 2500x1 at 2ohms, not 1 ohm. They said they have the Hifonics 2200D for $325 and that it is a very reliable amp with hardly no complaints. That seems like a very good price, so I guess I might just try one out and see for myself. If anybody knows anything negative about this amp reply back.   
'85 Toy
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have never had one but I have heard very good things
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Cadence, MMATS, and US Amps are all good. Check into them as well: www.cadencesound.com www.mmatsproaudio.com www.usamps.com
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

captanham is right DEI owns directed/viper/orion/ppi.  good stout amps but i dont think the orions have the ballz they used too.  have you seen the new orion 5000 west coast chopper edition? big chromed out over hyped piece o'crap if you ask me.  we connected one to 2 dd9512s and actually metered lower than we did with my old school orion xtrpro 2400.  even though we had the xtr pro running 1 ohm, its only supposed to be stable to 2 ohms, but we all know better than thatAdvice on an amp - Page 2 -- posted image.

anyway heres what i come up with for you @ 1 ohm around 2kw:

alphasonik pma 1200da-2470watts, pma 1000da-2060watts; audison vrx 1.500.2-2000watts; db drive platinum 2000-2000watts; digital audio dhc1604-2400w, dhc 1204-2000w; jbl bpx2200.1-1810w(cea rated); mmats d3000.1-2500w; niche audio na6000d-2400w; power bass r-xx 2000w; rockford t20001bd-2000w; soundstream ega 2000dx-2000w; swiss audio sdx 2000a-2000w; visonik v918xd-1800w, v2020t-2000w, xsite xad2k-2000w

if it were me id do a us amps 2000x-2000w at 4 ohm mono, .oo6%thd, dampening factor 2500

Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
yea us amps are definetly the way to go i'd say, i forgot about digital audio, that's a fairly new company, owned by wholesale house, from what i've heard, but it's good product, i've had very good experience with them, how have you bench tested amps rms output?, what kinda $$ is involved in getting that equipment? just curious, i think it's cool to beable to actually test out sytem outputs
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
newtone 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

that list is just some amps that i had researched and made calls to the manf. on for competition and have in a data base.  i have not used most of those products.  wish i could afford to though!  output power i list is what the manf. publishes so alot of them may only happen if lightning strikes the amp, others may be kind of conservative to get around power rating rules in usaci.  goes back to 'you get what you pay for'

as far as testing amps goes, we use an o-scope on the amps in car, adjust gains till the wave barely starts to square at the top and then measure output voltage at that setting.  so output varies on the same amp by charging system in each car.  i recently ordered my own term lab meter so i can meter the spl in the car and see the wave as produced by the subs, not just the amp.  i think itll help because then we can jack the gains up on the amps till the subs 'clip',  that will take into account impedance spikes in the enclosure and we can get a more accurate output measurement.  the way we do measuring is very 'getto' but gives me rough estimate overall, and a very good estimate on amps ive tested in the same way.  even bought some amps last year before they went into full scale production and the manf. was calling us for info on real world output and impedance capabilities.

newtone 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

btw for your very own term lab meter goto

www.termpro.com

and follow the links.  very helpful tool.

Captanham 
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot, that seems like a really good product i haven't seen before, thnx
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic