icon

Problem with Explorer Radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95strokerPSU 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a 1999 Ford Explorer with the CD/Cassette combo radio that works fine but the display is completely blank. Sometimes it flashs on, so I'm assuming it's a bad connection somewhere, but I don't want to open the radio unless I know what I'm looking for.  I really need to fix this because I'm selling the car and it's causing people to second guess the quality of the car.  Thanks
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
make sure its not the illumination wire, but it isnt unusual for it to be the stock radio itself thats broken, sorry
Peace
95strokerPSU 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

OK thanks, anyone else have any input?

overworked 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

I can tell you exactly what the problem is as I have repaired many of them, inside the unit itself at the bottom of the display there are about 30 legs that are soldered onto the PCB, some of those have turned into dry joints and will need to be resoldered, simple enough to do if you know what your doing....if not uhoh! Take it to a service technician and they shold have it fixed in no time, from Go-Whoa I can have it done in about 15min....thats if my soldering iron isn't switched on.

natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, I just bought one that didn't work on Ebay and fixed it myself. From kicking around the web I found out that the display joints can go bad, but far more common is the power supply for the display.
It is located right under the top cover to the far left of the unit. You have to remove one screw and untwist two hold down tabs to get it out. Usually some solder joint fails on the bottom of the board. One source that explains pretty decently how to fix it is: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25493&page=3&pp=25&highlight=radio+fix+light
I'd skip the part about scrubbing the board, but the rest is generically correct.
If you don't like to solder or need more info try: http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/
The site will confirm your problem and the guy, Duane is really helpful. I bought the detailed instructions for $20.00 and to me it was well worth it. When I didn't have success at first he sent additional emails that helped locate and correct the problem. If you just want to swap out your board he has detailed info on removing your radio (if you don't already know) and how to order a working board for about $85.00.   And he puts his money where his mouth is. If his fix doesn't work he'll give you back your money.
I originally had an AM/FM radio in my van. Now I have an AM/FM/Cassette/CD player that works perfect!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic