icon

I'm new here :)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys whats up. i wanna start off by saying that my name's mir, im new to this forum, i have a cadillac seville 96...umm any other questions u can just ask me :)

well, there were just some questions that i had that i thought maybe u guys could help me answer. for one, i was planning on doing "the big 3" upgrade and im using 0 gauge for my wires...i was thinking bout using a 200A fuse for my alternator to battery+ wire (itll be about 7 feet long)...does that sound good? if not, what would u guys suggest? (my alternator is 180A)

my second question was about my radio. i have 2 tvs, a cd changer, and an fm modulator all getting power from the same source as my radio. for this reason, i was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to upgrade those wires? the reason i was concerned was because i plan on putting in at least 2 more tvs, and so it was just a thought that i had. the reason y i even thought of it was because i had 2 kicker L7s in my car, and i was pushing about 2200 watts with em. i didnt have the big 3 upgrade, and so i think that caused a problem: one day, all my 'accessories' (fm modulator, cd changer, tvs, steering wheel controls, dash, etc) stopped working and i had to get it fixed at the dealer for about $800. thas y im trying to be safe this time. do u guys think having the big3 done would prevent this from happening again?

thanx a lot guys I'm new here :) -- posted image.

-mir

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, definately re do the big 3, there was no way your alt was putting its full 180 amps through the stock wires.  As for a fuse, it can be a good idea, i would personally fuse it at about 250amps tho.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

That sounds good for the big 3, as everyone here calls it.

For the other accessories, I'd probably run them from the ignition harness, not the radio harness.  They don't draw much power each, but you shouldn't power them all off the radio harness.  If I have just a changer, or just an fm modulator, I might tap power from the radio, but that's it.  Typically, manufacturers use 125% safe operating current as a guide for fuse selection, so the extra current you're drawing for your add-ons could blow a fuse.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder

do u know how i can tell the difference between the radio harness and the ignition harness? is the radio harness the one that plugs into the radio? if that's so, then where does the ignition harness plug into? thanks

alpine guy...thanks to u too :)

-mir

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

oh another thing. geepherder should i upgrade the wires on the ignition harness? or maybe put them all on relays to a fatter wire?

thanks bro

-mir

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the radio harness is the one that plugs into the radio.  The ignition harness is bundle of fat wires (probably 12 gauge)  in the steering column that runs to the ignition switch.  Use your multimeter and find an accessory wire.  You can just tap into an accessory wire and power your extras.  Be sure to fuse your components.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

You could use a relay like this to switch everything. I would connect the radio's ignition power wire to 86 instead of the remote turn on lead though. Make sure you fuse the constant 12 volt + wire also.

shagsmcshrivels 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I am new here. I came to this site to learn about sub wirring and sh*t. Not many good sites out there but this one looks great for learning. All my friends and I have subs and such but no one really understand the mechanics of wireing and tuning them. So I decided to learn for them so we can all get the most out of our systems. Just wanted to say HI and this place looks great! Ill be sticking around.
The grenn sprit rocks!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
shag, welcome to the forum.  Here is a wiring wizard I go to a lot, and you also can use the search button at the top of the page, enter "wiring" and "message body".  It'll display a lot of previous posts that said something about wiring.  Other things you might want to look at are "setting gain" and "tuning".
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

wait so geepherder, im thinking i should still put em on a relay right? like maybe have a 8AWG (jus to be on the safe side) from the battery for 87, ground 85 with another 8AWG, then have the accessory wire to 86? that way i can put all accessories on 30...will that work? and then only the 8AWG will be fused at the battery, right?or should i still fuse all the components?

also, should i use a 200A fuse or a 250A for my big3? the reason im concerned is because my alternator is 180A, and so i know for sure i wont be drawing anywhere near 200A. but i dunno...u know better :-D lolz. thanks

(btw, thanks so much bro...uve been a big help...)

-mir

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic