icon

2nd blown sub in 4 day

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pittsburry 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

hi this is my first post here, english is my second language so be lenient, :)

i have a serious problem i explain, i buy a 200 watt amplifier 2 channel with a 350 watt rms 12 inch subwoofer, i install it in my car all go nice and smooth but 2 day later the sub start to rattle and the amp goes on protect ,try to stop and start her back but the amp just make a pop in my sub and go on protect again .i try a speaker on my amp and it play great i ve got my sub exchange for an other one identical. same thing produce again 2 day after i install it

what is the prob  the amp????  or the sub????

dont know what to do helppp???

I do the wiring myself and i double chek it ( its not my first install )

wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  

what brand amp and sub, what are the setting on the amp and how is the sub wired to the amp.

pittsburry 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

its a cheap brand (legacy)

the amp have an internal crossover tha is set on low with a bass boost and the volume of the amp is about half the way to the max and the sub is wired in bridge mode to the amp

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is the problem.  It is cheap and clipping, which will destroy any sub, and add the fact that you have not set it up correctly (the gain on an amp is NOT a volume control) and you end up with "2 blown subs in 4 days."  If you must use that amp, set the gain properly.  Do a search on this forum for many threads with instructions.  But ultimately I suggest you spend a little more and get a real amplifier.  Legacy is, IMO, only worthy for use as a doorstop.
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
you can also use them amps as portable heaters2nd blown sub in 4 day -- posted image.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
pittsburry 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the solution i now have a new door stop and a portable heater 2nd blown sub in 4 day -- posted image.

ill try to get it back to the store for some better stock

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Set the gains right or you will end up blowing more subs, even with a good amp. You can try to sell it on fleabay, somebody out there thinks legacy is good. They can hook it to audiobahn subs.
'85 Toy
bbattleson 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe the amp sucks but how did you wire it?  Is it a dual or single VC sub?  bridge a dual VC the wrong way and it'll send that amp protecting itself.  What ohm sub is it?  Drop that legacy at 2ohms and I guarantee it's clipping for sure.  Even though it might be rated at that.  A 4ohm speaker will drop lower than 2ohm's while moving (if bridged of course), therefore making some of the lesser quality amps go into protection.  Find out the details before you junk it. 

Maybe some people cant or dont want to pay for the good stuff.   You can make the cheap stuff work if your on a budget.  Just wont sound as good.

pittsburry 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

the sub is a single vc 4ohm

and the amp on bridge mode push 4 or 8 ohm (that what said the manual that comes with it)

anyway ill trow it back to the store and get something else

bbattleson 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
It's too low of an ohm load for that amp.  You would probable be fine if you bridged an 8ohm sub but not a 4ohm.  Try running it in stereo and see if you still blow the sub.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic