icon

2 volt vs. 4 volt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jakesmoke 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
im looking to upgrade my HU.im looking at either the clarion dxz755mc or the dxz945mp. both are similar in price .the 755 has the mc feature which i like but only a 2 volt preamp output. the 945 has no mc, but has a 4 volt output.if i go with the 755, will i be losing some sound quality with the 2 volt versus the 4 volt in the 945?any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Usually, the higher Voltage output results in a little better sound quality, since the noise resistance is a little greater.
Also, I think that the 755mc only puts out 1.8 volts, and the MC feature is only good for real CDs (sorry, you can't use CD-R discs, only originals).
The 945mp is nice, but I personally found the touch screen a little small and akward in the store.
Now, it seems like you have your mind set on Clarion, but for the same price range, have you seen Alpine's CDA-9855? It's due out in May, and looks quite impressive...Perhaps you should give it a look...
~wayland
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Just curious - how does the deck know which CDs are "real?"
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with the CD's data material. Or maybe the encoding? Either way, I read its info on Crutchfield.com.
If you had your heart set on that model, and are worried about the RCA Power output, look at its big brother, with 4volts: DXZ955MC
~wayland
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting - I read the same from crutchfield. I'd like someone to either confirm or deny whether that claim is true. I suspect they might be blowing a bit of smoke just so they don't have to support the burned discs later.
If you burn a disc correctly the deck shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
That's not entirely true... For example, in many older CD players, CD-RW's, no matter how they're burned, just wont work...
But to be sure, give Crutchfield a call and see. Or head down to Tweeter, or some other car Audio shop with some Burned CDs (use different types) and try it out for yourself (that is if nobody else can testify on the forums)
~wayland
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

well, i've got the clarion 845 with MC, yes it does only have like 1.8V line outputs, but as for recording music, it will record off a burnt cd as long as it's made into an audio cd, (not MP3, WMA, etc) a guy i know had a cd he made that i copied a few songs off of just to try it out, once you figure out how to use it it's nice, the whole deck itself is nice, iam however jumping down to the 745MP  for the 4volt preouts due to competitions this year, i assumed the 845 had them since it is higher then the 745MP....guess i was wrong :P 

but speaking of the 745MP it says 5.1 decoder, does that mean you can adjust the speaker outputs according to where you are in the car like you can with the 945? or is it just if you have a dvd changer and watching a movie that's got the whole 5.1 setup it will reconise it?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Go with an Eclipse with the magic gate memory stick, 8 volt pre outs, SRS ( surround sound), Area shot navigation w/optional GPS unit!!  and way way better than any thing clarion has ever made.   The CD8445 should be in the $500 range, and the CD8455 is going for $599 around here.   If you have an eclipse dealer around you within 1 hour its definately the route to go!
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kfr01 
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
100% agree w/ that recommendation.
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I disagree... I have an Eclipse head unit sitting in my closet. It died on me, and only powers up (no sound output). I paid a decent amount for it too...and it only lasted a year or so... Thumbs down on eclipse for my personal experience.... Look at that ALpine CDA-9855 though...
Besides, I hear a lot of companies are dropping the Eclipse line for quality issues such as this (I think Tweeter is among one of their bigger sellers who dropped Eclipse)
~wayland
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic