icon

Which Woofer is better and why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ArKineX 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I have been told by peeps on this board that choosing the right woofer depends on the Woofer's SPL Rating (which I think is the same as Woofer Sensitivity).
Also Everyone keeps blasting how Audiobahn stuff sux and do not buy them, but the Woofer's look good in comparison to other brands which I know is reputable.
I was going to go with the Audiobahn AWES10P or the AW1006T, but peeps told me to stay away from it.
Well, I looked at others people have suggested and looked at the Rockford Fosgate Power Stage 1 T110D4 and was thinking about this one. Also was a nice Alpine Type-R SWR-1042D.
I did a comparison on Crutchfield and looked at those three:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4FzeQnSjltQ/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=67600&c=10&s=0&cc=01&pt2=0&ITM500SWR1042=on&ITM037AW1006T=on&ITM575T110D4=on&x=37&y=10
The Speaker Sensitivity is lower on the Alpine and the Rockford, but the Audiobahn is 95dB for the AW1006T and 90dB for the Audiobahn AWES10P.
So let me know why the Audiobahn is not the right choice here? Thank you all!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
The audiobahn units are a much cheeper quality product known for shabby performance, and a high failure rate.  Some people however do like the sound of them while they last.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

SPL is not the same as sensitivity.... http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/education/glossary/S.htm That will clarify the two for ya.

As Alpine said above, Audiobahn's products are considered of weaker material and fail faster. Most people dislike it(I am one) and some like the product. Really, you can find other names that produce better quality subs like well, it depends on how much money you have to work with and what you want. That'll make it the easiest for suggestions to look at.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

I think Audiobahn stretches the truth with sensitivity numbers.

Their Immortal sub's 97db ... please.  Make me gag.

In other words, picking Audiobahn just because of efficiency numbers wouldn't be smart.  Unless, of course, you believe that Audiobahn magically produced a woofer breaking the laws of physics that all other driver manufacturers are bound to.  It is precisely this kind of rating - designed to catch unsuspecting customers - that turns me off to Audiobahn.  You'd think if they actually had quality products they could use the same system as everyone else.  Just something to think about.

Caveat:  The numbers could be correct - for the test that they conduct.  For example, they could be measuring efficiency with the microphone closer to the driver, only over a certain range, or using any number of variable and non-standard ways to conduct their tests.  Subwoofers are much more efficient if only tested over a limited and relatively high frequency band.  i.e.  70-120hz.  If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. 

In any event, it would be foolish to pick Audiobahn simply based on efficiency numbers.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Some manufactures inflate numbers, always have. Some are closer to the truth then others. They do this because inflated specs make sales. The methods used and such undeclared values as the amount of distortion allowed or amount of voltage input drastically change the end result.
Audiobahn is in the crap category in my book. If you could listen to those three subs, side by side (which I suggest you do) you would hear the difference.
Those companies with a reputation for high quality also tend to have specs that are real world. In other words their names garner respect for a reason.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
ArKineX 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Did any of you go to the link I posted? Look at the link and please give your honest opinions (I know the Audiobahn is obviously crap).
Thank you for clarifying what SPL and Speaker Sensitivity is.
What should I look for in deciding the right Subwoofer?
Isn't SPL measured when you have everything installed already and functional? Because I haven't really seen a SPL spec on speakers when I look around.
I'm looking for a goo 600W RMS Sub Solution. I'd like to stay 2Ohm stable.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

Sensitivity is pretty much meaningless when looking at subwoofers as power handling will be determined by the enclosure.  IMO shooting for a high efficiency in car audio is a mistake.  This is because you have to give up something to achieve this higher efficiency.  You have to either give up low frequency extention, or give up a smaller enclosure size.  Power is cheap so I would much rather have an inefficient sub but have the better response and have it not taking up all of my trunk.

Now as for Audiobahn, they are not testing their subs the same as other manufacturers.  Most ratings are done at 1 watt at 1 meter.  Audiobahn does their testing at half a meter, with 2 watts (2.83 volts on a 4 ohm driver) and in vehicle.  All those things give them that inflated number.  But it is not a good comparison to other speakers as no one else does that.  That's like claiming my car is fastest because it is a 3 second car, but not specifying that the 3 seconds is tested at a few yards and down hill and not an actual 1/4 mile time.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome - I'm glad someone knew the particulars of their testing.  I knew it had to be something like that.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
That's news to me.  Audiobahn does testing?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Just animal testing.  DB to them means "Dead Bunny", which happens when bunnies  stare too long at flashy chrome flames. Which Woofer is better and why? -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic