the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Experience with www.onlinecarstereo.com ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
How is the manufacturer responsible for a warranty given by a non-authorized dealer??? Also, almost every manufacturer's warranty has a clause that states that if its not installed by a professional, warranty is void, so almost anything you buy online and/or install yourself has no warranty. (Unless of course you are a professional and not just think you are.)

I am getting all my stuff installed by a professional...

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
it may be different down there, but up here Alpine's warranty states " No warranty unless installed by an Authorized Alpine Installation Centre"...... not just any guy who calls himself a professional.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I hate that crap its not fun to have to pay someone to install a deck or an amp for you. when you know how to do it. I guess its worth it for the warranty but installing something like a deck is pretty damn easy its just matching wires thats about it.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

It's not crap, it's how manufacturers protect themselves from paying for idiotic mistakes made by people who "think" they know how to install.  I have seen MANY burned or broken pieces of electronics equipment damaged through ignorance and/or negligence on the part of owners, who then want to try and get "warranty repair."  It is often a rude awakening when people learn there are rules behind warranties.  I have known people who fried the engines in their new cars trying to get some fast and furious speed enhancement by purchasing a "chip" off eBay, and then get pissed when the dealer tells them sorry charlie, you broke it you pay for it.  If you blow your woofers because you "crank the gain" up or if you blow a HU by bridging the built-in amplifier, the manufacturer will often also tell you sorry it's your fault. And it is. 

On the other hand, I personally have had warranty replacement on my high-end Nakamichi in-dash CD changer three times.  The unit I bought had a mechanical problem and since I did it RIGHT, I got the entire HU replaced three times for free over the course of two years until I finally got one that functions perfectly.

If you purchase good equipment that comes with a warranty, you should always purchase from an authorized dealer and have it installed by an authorized service center in order to protect your investment. 

But bottom line is it's your money: if you want to purchase off EBay and install it yourself to save a few bucks, cool go for it.  Just don't expect any manufacturer to stand behind something done in that fashion.  You're on your own!

Support the12volt.com
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Is "Tweeter" an Authorized Alpine Installed Center?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
The Tweeter chain is an authorized Alpine dealer.
Support the12volt.com
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Warranties and guarantees are very touchy subjects.  Even without authorized dealer installations you can get around those little words "No warranty unless installed by an Authorized Alpine Installation Centre"  There are many laws that are made to protect consumers from this little wording.  It is the same as a sign saying that your car dealer is not responsible for items left in car while it is in for repair.  You must remember Lawyers wrote the laws so they also put in a clause and sub laws that can help them around the law.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, but why waste the money hiring a lawyer and going to court when you could easily pay $50 up front and be done with it?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not going to pay someone twice what he paid so he can say it was installed by a authorized dealer....What a waste of money!! Let's see I will sell you this amp for $800 so you can get a warranty even though I paid only $300 for it.. Most electronics will show signs of failure in the first 30 days and that's a fact!! People like www.woofersetc.com and www.onlinecarstereo.com will cover under warranty same as manufacturer..

Example of something I just bought about 4months ago:  Kenwood Excelon KVT-915DVD through a authorized dealer cost $2300, I paid only $1500 through a non-authorized dealer.. A savings of $800 now is that worth it to you? If so go ahead and waste your money it's only money anyways...

Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^ bad example as it proves my point. Either you are a bad shopper or a bad purchaser. A bad shopper has found an item that he likes at an drastically inflated price if the exact same item can be found that much cheaper. This means the store is at fault and you did not get a good deal from them. Get a better deal. The second side of this is the bad purchaser. You bought on price and did not quantify your purchase. Let's say that in this case the stores price is bang on, this means that the online store is hosebagging you on your purchase. No company in this industry makes that kind of markup on thier gear. This means that even though the brand and model may be the same, there is a difference. This difference is usually found in the product being a "B" stock or remanufactured item. It is no longer the same and should no longer sell for the same price. So in this sense sure the value is good if you like something that has previousely been blown up (usually 3 times) and cannot be sent back to the original purchaser. But the repaired gear has to be sold somewhere...... wonder what you just bought.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic