icon

Parking Light Wire 1998 Chevy S-10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steiny83 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I'm working on installing a Scytek Galaxy 5000RS 2way alarm and am having problems figuring out where to connect my parking light output wire.  I have checked a few charts (including this site's) that tell me to use the brown wire at the light switch harness...however, there is no  brown wire...I pulled the switch apart and discovered that pin 9 (or pin 2, depending on how you look at it --an orange wire in my '98 4 cyl. s-10) is grounded when the parking light switch is turned on (or at least it is connected to pins 1, 5, and 10, which all have continuity with ground).  I don't know what's going on with this orange wire...when the switch is off, it has continuity with + and -...when the switch is on parking lights, it has continuity with just -....it reads + 12v in both settings.  When I connect it to a ground manually, it blows the parking light fuse under the hood.  Anyone know what I'm missing and whether or not this is the wire I want???  Thanks.
actionjackson 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

check your blue wire in the harness, can also be your light wire

Jamie Jackson
*CRIMPING AINT EASY*
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
do you mean the dome light wire? How can I use that to turn on the parking lights?
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
USE ONLY EITHER ONE OF THE PARKING WIRE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO LOCATE ON THE INFOMATION BELOW, AND DON'T USE BOTH.
Parking Lights+ brown   +   lt. blue plug at BCM
CHEVROLET, S-10 PICKUP, 1998, Parking Lights+
The BCM is located to the right of the accelerator pedal below the radio. The plugs on the BCM face towards the drivers side.

Parking Lights- white   -   lt. blue plug at BCM
CHEVROLET, S-10 PICKUP, 1998, Parking Lights-
This wire will not test when using the headlight switch. This wire is triggered by the DRL system. To meter the wire, start the car with the parking brake set, when the brake is released this wire will go to ground.
The BCM is located to the right of the accelerator pedal below the radio. The plugs on the BCM face towards the drivers side.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Parking Light Wire 1998 Chevy S-10 -- posted image.
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

I once read an article about wiring a resistor in place of the light sensor to cancel the DRL (so you could turn the lights on and off as you pleased)...if I did this, would it interfere with the function of that wire and my alarm?  thanks for your help, pencil!

thepencil 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
1095.pdf
You might have read something like this.
"if I did this, would it interfere with the function of that wire and my alarm?"
I don't think that is nessary. Resistor just reduce the current going throught it. For the car that you are asking I don't remember ever putting resistor into it to get the parking light to work.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Parking Light Wire 1998 Chevy S-10 -- posted image.
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry...I wasn't very clear with what I was trying to say...I read a separate article (not anything to do with an alarm) that said you could override your Daytime Running Lights by installing a resistor where the light sensor used to be.  This way, you essentially no longer have DRL's and you would have the ability to turn off your headlights without completely shutting off the engine.  If I did this though, I wonder if my alarm would still be able to trigger the parking lights using that brown wire at the BCM.  Thanks again...you're a great resource!
thepencil 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't done something like this for this vehicle. If you someone else here has I think they can help you out more that I can.
As for the parking light, it would not be affected if you are conecting it from the positive side.
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2005 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
okay, cool...thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic