icon

big 3 upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
A while back I asked about this upgrade. Most people said to do away with the factory wiring and just use one wire, the new, bigger wire. I looked back to a post from about a month or so ago and seen an article that someone had posted from sounddomain.com called "the official big 3 upgrade" and it had exactly the opposite info and most people at that time went along with that topic. I printed it out back then, and looked it over today, because I am getting ready to upgrade my car. I am a little confused on which way to go now. I was getting ready to take all the factory wires out and running new wires, but if it isn't neccessary I would rather just run the new wire and leave the old wire also. What is the majority ruling on this?
'85 Toy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
"Take all the factory wires out" from where to where?
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
My take is that current will flow along the path of least resistance, so that even if the original wires were left in the car the current would take the path of the larger, lower-impedance wire.  So just leave the original wiring intact.  (DYohn will let me know if I've missed the point.....:)
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, that's right.  I'm not sure what the original poster is asking however.
Support the12volt.com
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Here is good point from haemphyst in another post.
"What happens if the fuse on the big one (the one connected to the battery) blows, and the load is more than the smaller wire can take? Now you are in a serious overcurrent condition, and things can only get worse from there...
Just something to think about...
This is why it is NEVER good to run two wires froma source to a single load through two paths..."
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I think that only applies with a HO Alternator though.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
DYohn 
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
Here is good point from haemphyst in another post.
"What happens if the fuse on the big one (the one connected to the battery) blows, and the load is more than the smaller wire can take? Now you are in a serious overcurrent condition, and things can only get worse from there...

Well, as long as the smaller wire is properly fused too, it wouldn't matter as the fuse will protect the wire.

I am still wondering what supradude was really asking, though.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I remember the post he is referring to.  It links to a post on sounddomain where the author said to leave the original Big 3 wiring intact and add the upgraded wiring (for the reason i posted).  Supradude wants to know whether to pull out the old or leave it there.  Battery to chassis ground;  alternator to battery;  chassis to engine block if there is one...
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, i have a buddy with a mk3 supra turbo and just did this. AIM me sometime and ill see if he'd be interested in giving you some tips.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Another good point DYohn.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic