2001 Accord / Remote Start / Bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bbcardwiz 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all-

I'm thanking any replies to this in advance.

Here's the situation.

I installed a AutoCommand Remote Starter on my 2001 Honda Accord this past weekend by myself.  I'm a newbie to all these techie gadgets so forgive me if I don't call something by the right naming convention. Anyway, I inherited this remote start system, read the instructions, and realized I needed an alarm bypass module to continue installing this thing in - so I went out and bought a CrimeStopper Alarm Bypass Module (it was cheap and the guy had it in stock so I wasn't complaining).  This is the kind you put the key in.  It was no biggie to me as I've always had my gray valet key unused for the past 4 years, so I figured I'd put it in the box rather than having it sit in my silverware drawer for the next 4 years.

Anyway, my problem is that everything is hooked up as I know it should be hooked up per the diagrams and instructions I've got.  I've got the remote start functioning properly as well as the parking lights and door locks.  But, when I remote start the car with the Honda security enabled, the Honda alarm sounds (via horn).  When I shut off the starter using the remote and then restart, no horns.  By the way, when remoted, the starter works, it's just that the horns are so freaking annoying it makes me not want to remote start the vehicle.  And I'm really not thrilled with unlocking the vehicle first and THEN remote starting it.  That's a pain in the butt.

So, logically, I thought to check my connection of power to the bypass module (checked ok) and then check the wire from the bypass module to the negative run output of the remote (checked ok as well).  So now what?  What have I missed?  Another thing I thought it might be was the ring that goes around the key ignition being loose or something but that ring is solid and tight and seems properly installed to me.

I saw this post and it sounds like my problem.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=49033&KW=honda

However, I'm not sure what they are referring to in the door.  Also the person that sold me the bypass module said that if my Honda had the security door light (it does) then my remote start install would be "tricky".  He didn't divulge any more info as he wanted me to shell out $250 for him to do the install, and I said nah....I'm assuming there's something that needs to be done in the door, hence him saying that.  Plus some of the things said in the post I pasted seem to allude to that as well.

Can someone straighten me out as to what I need to do to kill the alarm when I remote start this thing?  I thought that's what the bypass module would do, but I guess not.  Or maybe I have one more thing to bypass somehow that I've missed.

Thanks, Chris

secureauto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a diagram for your car,
2001 Accord
Looks like the disarm wire(orange) also unlocks the vehicle, you could try grounding the factory hood wire (yellow/red or yellow), this should keep the factory alarm from arming. Just a suggestion.
ASE Certified
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  
there's 2 separate issues that you're dealing with here:
1. the crimestopper module that you've purchased, which required you to place a key within it, is called an immobilizer by-pass module. its function, as the name implies, is to by-pass your honda's factory immobilizer by transmitting the signal from your the chip inside the key to the ignition barrel in order to "fool" the car into thinking that your key is there upon remote starting.
2. your car also happens to have a factory alarm too, which is activated upon you using the factory remote, or upon your doors locking (which you've done via the AutoCommand Remote Start).
to solve your problem you need to find and tap into a blue wire that is inside the driver's door. giving this wire a negative pulse prior to remote start, which your AutoCommand will probably call "factory disarm wire", will be the most appropriate solution. please don't spend time trying to find that blue wire in the cabin side of the car. that wire only exists inside the door panel. it leads from the drivers door keyhole to the control panel that houses the pwr windows switches. it will disarm your factory alarm, but not unlock the doors.
good luck!
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
bbcardwiz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

secure auto-thanks for the suggestion on bypassing the alarm trigger, but the car came with an alarm system, so i'm just gonna keep using it, even though your suggestion is less work than jimmeezgolf's....

jimmeezgolfvr6-I think you've headed me in the right direction.  according the info secure auto posted about my vehicle's wiring, you are correct, the blue alarm system wire is in the door, so, it looks like i'm setting aside 2 hours to pull the door apart and run a wire from the remote starter into the door.  thanks again for all the good info.  my only question now is why does the car alarm not fire after remote starting the vehicle a few minutes after turning it off.  in other words, if i get out of the car after using it and shut everything off, lock the car and arm the honda security system, then remote start the car, no alarms go off.  but if i wait overnight and next morning try to remote start the vehicle with it armed, the horn goes off.  Is this a function of the alarm system needing a few minutes to fully arm itself?  That's my guess.

thanks for all the help. -chris

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
i should actually be just one minute. the factory alarm will not ring if you open a door or turn on the ignition within 1 minute of having locked the doors.
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Chris,
I would like to praise you on such a detail post and doing a bit of research first before posting your questions. I think this post of yours will benifit a lot of people, as most do not write as well as you do. Most of the time the professional installer here spend a great deal of time trying to decipher the meaning of each post. Because of it, a lot of them have acquired the skill of mind reading including myself.    
“I installed a AutoCommand Remote Starter on my 2001 Honda Accord this past weekend by myself. I'm a newbie to all these techie gadgets so forgive me if I don't call something by the right naming convention.”
I wouldn’t worry too much about this. I call a lot of thing by what the manufacturer calls them. A few people have corrected me because I didn’t call them by the technical term and name. I am sure everyone has heard people say pass me the Kleenex, but the correct word to use is tissue.   Personally, if you can articulate your point through that is good enough.

“Is this a function of the alarm system needing a few minutes to fully arm itself?”
Correct. Some car will armed itself very quickly while other will take less than a minute to do so.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2001 Accord / Remote Start / Bypass -- posted image.
bbcardwiz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

thanks pencil for your nice comments.

i just try to be logical about things.  i figure if someone's going to help me they need to know what the problem is, right?  You can't just go into a doctor's office and say, "I don't feel good" and expect the doctor to give you a pill to make you feel better and be on your way.  It just doesn't work like that.  well, i guess that's what valium used to do, but that's another topic.

As for me not calling things by the right name, I stated that because of my particular problem.  In other words, I was afraid my problem dealt with the Honda security system somehow as the security system was the thing that was going off everytime i remote started.  In the AutoCommand instruction manual they actually term the device needed to bypass the immobilizer the "alarm bypass module".  And that's where I was getting screwed up.  I knew I had the "alarm bypass module" hooked up correctly per the instructions yet guess what....the alarm was not being bypassed just the immobilizer.  So when the alarm bypass module, in my mind, was failing to do it's job (bypassing the alarm) I was really curious as to what was going on.  But jimmeezgolf's detailed account of what was actually happening made perfect sense after reading it and so, off I go tomorrow to pull the door apart and send that negative output to the blue wire. 

thanks everyone for the great answers!  this is a great forum!

-chris

solartech 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
there is an easy way out here program the remote starter to unlock before starting then relock after starting. this will disarm the factory alarm. This will save you the labor from going in to the door. If you cant program this into the starter, there should be output from the starter which you can connect to the lock/unlock inputs. Assuming you went to the door locks at the pass. side fuse box.
Solartech Window Tinting & Electronics Inc.
bbcardwiz 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

solartech-

great suggestion.  just doesn't look like it will work for me tho.  after referencing the Autocommand manual, it seems  I have only 5 programmable options on my starter and unlock before remote start and then relock is not an option.  However, I did hook up the wires for lock and unlock on pass side door as you mentioned.  So that's done, but I'm at a loss for what you are wanting me to do with those door lock wires.  please explain. 

thanks -chris

solartech 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
are u useing a 2xx24 series? Program it to unlock before starting then there should be anoutput wire for a ground pulse after start. I cant remember the wire code for designtech. It depends on the model number for the out put wires. I was a Designtech dealer for a few years and you can set it up to work for sure. Post your model number and how you got it. Some units from walmart or a retail store have limited features.
Solartech Window Tinting & Electronics Inc.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic