icon

Advice, big problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Izzum88 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

I'm 99% sure that the problem is my factory amp. I have the stock cd player and ran the rcas off a line converter connected to my front door speaker, it was just powering a sub and at most the amp put out 800 watts. I had no idea what i was doing at the time and used 4 guage wire instead of the recommended 8 guage. Dont know what happened exactly most likely the power and ground touched because the wire was too close but when i turned it on the system shorted. The strange thing is only my front door speakrs work now, not the rear door speakers or the speakers in the back. I took it to music in motion and they told my my factory up had blown channels. I would take their word for it but it seems like they were trying to take my money because they said in order to fix it i would need to purchase from them  several things that i didnt need, such as a new amp and new speakers. The speakers work fine there is just no signal getting to them. I tried using the rcas into a less powerful amp and running the speakers directly off of them and that works except when the car is on i get a whining noise with the rpms. I dont think it is because of my rcas being next to the power wires because  my  battery is in the trunk, where the amp is. I have heard that buying a new cd player would fix the whole problem, but i dont want to do that unless i need to, the car won't be mine for more than a year. I thought that maybe i get the whining noise because i am using a low leval line conerter to get the audio signal. I only get the whining noise when the high pass or full filter is on. Any help is appreciated and if you need more information just ask.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
1. 4 gauge is fine in place of 8 gauge. You can ALWAYS go bigger, just never go smaller.
2. What do you mean "shorted"? What EXACTLY happened? Describe in detail for us.
3. If your speaker wires did actually short, you may really have blown channels in the factory amp.
4. If you did blow channels in the amplifier, and you do need to replace the amp, depending on what kind of car it is, you MAY need to replace the speakers as well. Most Bose systems use 1/2 ohm speakers, and that kind of load is not compatible with MOST amplifiers today. Some amps, depending on the protection circuitry (or not) might still output into a 1/2 ohm load, which could explain why you can still hear them.
5. If you are running the RCA's next to ANY power carrying wire, i.e. the charging cable from the alternator to the battery, you will likely have noise introduced into the system.
6. Again, if the amp is blown, replacing the HU will NOT fix the issues you are describing, providing I am getting all the information correctly.
7. If you only hear the noise with the full-range or high-pass settings on the amplifier, the noise is probably (about a 90+% chance) being introduced into the system over the RCA's.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Izzum88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

The reason the 4 guage wire was a problem is because it didnt fit correctly , and i think it shorted because the ground touched the power wire. Not completely sure thats what happened becaue i wasnt looking in the trunk when it happened. I know that blown channels in the amp is a major possibility, and when i said amp i meant the amp i was using to power the subs not the factory amp. Also, i hooked up the speakers to a different  and they worked fine, but i have new speakers in the rear doors anyway. Thanks for the tip on power wires, its obvious but i never thought about it, i know for sure that there is power carrying wires where im picking up the audio signal from.

Since replacing the HU won't fix the problem, do you know anything besides replacing the factory amp that will? Thanks alot that does clear up alot of questions for me.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Haemphyst, I've never run across any 1/2 ohm Bose speakers.  They're usually 2 ohm, and sometimes 1ohm.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
In the GMDelco stuff, they are (possibly were) 1/2 ohm drivers. Even *IF* they are not that low anymore, that is still one hell of a load to put on an amplifier... That is why I should have asked what kind of car it is that he is working on...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't know Delco used anything with that low impedence- wow.  Yes, that's definitely a heavy load for any amplifier.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
haemphyst 
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
They used to use 1/2 ohm drivers with dedicated, purpose built digital amplifiers. The amp modules have EQ curves built in to the modules, to allow for interior acoustics, as well as the AWFUL frequency response of the 3 1/2 inch drivers they use. I happen to have a pair of them (amps and drivers) on my desk right now... They are out of a Cadillac... and the drivers measure .43 ohms with an ohmmeter. I know, I was amazed the first time I saw one, too. I think it was in an early 90's 'Vette. That is why I said "(possibly were)" in my previous post. I've been out of installing for a while, and I don't know if the systems have changed...
Izzum88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
The car is a 1998 Mercedes C230, whenever you look up wiring plans I dont think they are right because they say it is 6 1/2 inch speakers but i have taken them out and they are 4 inch in the back and 5 1/4 in the front
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
What is the impedence of the OEM speakers out of that Mercedes, and what is the impedence of the ones you replaced them with?
Support the12volt.com
Izzum88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Both the speakers out of the Mercedes and the ones i replaced them with are 4 ohms.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic