icon

Why so much bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with hightek.  I like listening to music just fine with a moderate amount of bass (no bass sounds like even more ass than too much bass....ever had a guy pull up beside u with his stock system cranked way up and the bass turned way down so he could actually turn the music up that loud...sounds like ass)  but even though i cant drive with heart stopping bass i love the feel of it.  Theres also the factor of some guy with lotsa bass pulling up to u and his bass is drowning out your tunes...so u gatta be able to out do him in the volume and db levelsWhy so much bass? - Page 3 -- posted image.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
girls shake their butts to the bass.

lol - it all comes back to the fact that men like women shaking ass

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
yeah it does, especially when in you're in college like me Why so much bass? - Page 3 -- posted image. and when they shake it in your car, the more better
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
Alien509 wrote:
Another fact is that if you had highs that matched that kind of power from a sub, the intensity of such a dramatically higher frequency would surely make you go deaf. The bass floods out in a way that high frequencies won't do......
WWhere are you getting this information from?

A higher frequency means a power output over a dramtically small length of time. The output can be graphed and it will look like a very steep and sharp spike in the sound spectrum. If you graph the same bass note with the same intensity you will find out that the bass note is leveled out over a longer period of time. Hence the whole Hz system. That is why fast sharp high frequencies are filtered out before they are amplified to a subwoofer. The subwoofers can't move fast enough to create the sudden intense spikes of  higher frequencies. The force of a note over a longer period of time means the force is less concentrated. Therefore the intensity you expierence physically  by lower frequencies is spread out over more time per note. While with the higher frequencies your ears are getting spiked to death very rapidly. Sorta make sense or do you need me to give more info?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Alien509 wrote:
A higher frequency means a power output over a dramtically small length of time. The output can be graphed and it will look like a very steep and sharp spike in the sound spectrum. If you graph the same bass note with the same intensity you will find out that the bass note is leveled out over a longer period of time. Hence the whole Hz system. That is why fast sharp high frequencies are filtered out before they are amplified to a subwoofer. The subwoofers can't move fast enough to create the sudden intense spikes of  higher frequencies. The force of a note over a longer period of time means the force is less concentrated. Therefore the intensity you expierence physically  by lower frequencies is spread out over more time per note. While with the higher frequencies your ears are getting spiked to death very rapidly. Sorta make sense or do you need me to give more info?

That, my friend, is a load of misinformation.

Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
In the 30 plus years I've been around home and car audio , including classes at an Ivy league University this is the only time I've heard of High Freq. explained in this manner. Is the Easter Bunny coming soon?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Once again it apears that people are drinking from the fountain of Misinformation.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Gulp, Gulp. Emmm....Better than spring water.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

Higher frequencies can be heard farther away because of their initial intensity at any given amplitude when compared to lower frequencies. If you are blind to intensities then you will eventually whitness their effects. I've seen experiments done where high frequencies at extremely low powers have cause immense shattering damage over a very short period of time. The same amplitude at a lower frequency didn't do a thing. The idea  with peoples' windshields flying out of their cars because of subwoofers is usually air pressure and that has nothing to do with the frequency. Its sad that you have not seen what  high frequency can do at a lower power when compared to a lower freqeuncy. They now use high frequency fields rapidly pulsed to make gull stones in people shatter. If you don't believe me then I don't care. Initial intensities are what create the most damage per unit of time at constant rate. I personally would rather my bass take the edge of my highs even if people outside can't hear it playing.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

I understand what you are talking about, and it's called ultra-sonics.  It has NOTHING to do with the audible spectrum.  Your initial arguement was simply wrong.  Your analogy between ultrasonics or RF frequencies and pressure waves in the audible spectrum is absolutely falacious, as are your contentions about how loudspeakers work..

Support the12volt.com
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic