the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Why so much bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Once again it apears that people are drinking from the fountain of Misinformation.

Or maybe their brain is turned to mush from too much bass...

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Mush and Tonic, sounds like a balanced diet.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I understand what you are talking about, and it's called ultra-sonic.  It has NOTHING to do with the audible spectrum.  Your initial agruement was simply wrong.  Your analogy between ultrasonics or RF frequencies and pressure waves in the audible spectrum is absolutely falacious, as is your contentions about how loudspeakers work..

The analagy suggests something that is "audible" by that specific object. Where something is not "Audible" in relation to something else there is no sound. Hence the RF waves you are thinking of that act like light through us but not something like a gallstone. I think the analogy was correct when refernced on the basis of the "audible" spectrum where people can hear. I am pleasantly disagreeing with you and I have many accounts, even energy equations that link the relation of energy intensities between different time intervals.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

It is SPL that destroys hearing, not frequencies within the audible spectrum.

http://www.abelard.org/hear/hear.htm#loud-music

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9735

And here's one that's pretty interesting and relates to the original thread of "why so much bass."

http://www.omnisonic.com/bbillings.html

Support the12volt.com
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Alien dude, I have read that last link before and right now I got DYohn in the lead here. You need to come back with some of those "many accounts, even energy equations that link the relation of energy intensities between different time intervals." that you have up your sleave because right now you are probally not gonna sway anyone your direction.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

SPL and Freq go hand in hand...

Frequency = force \ time

Force is larger when time is shorter and frequency is in result higher.

(reverse) Higher frequency means time interval is shorter and force is larger

Physical work = Force times the distance the force is applied over

Force is greater with the same distance, more physical work occurs.

Not to mention the higher/midrange frequencies are at extremely high BeatsPerMinute, if they weren't then the complexity of music its self would not exist. Bass on the other hand is usually simplistic, low BPM when compared to what it takes just to say a word in any song. I don't know if anyone has any visual music software but if you visually look at 120hz and compare it to 60hz you can clearly see the higher frequencies cause more change over a shorter period of time. Hit a wall 1 time with a hammer really hard in 5 seconds. The hit the same wall just as hard in a new location 2 times in 5 seconds, which dose more damage? That is why I prefer my bass to cancel some of the peak my mids and highs create. Reguardless of if the people outside can hear it.

thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
the BPM of a bass note is entirely dependant on the music, Have you ever heard a talented metal drummer on a good system??
thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
hmmmm, I re-read that and I think I missed your point entirely, always think before you postWhy so much bass? - Page 4 -- posted image., I'm way to tired for this.
DYohn 
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, Alien509 that last post was so, how can I say this, full of crap that I don't even know where to begin.  Wherever you are getting your information it is wrong.  You are mixing up several basic principles of physics that have not much to do with sound, and certainly nothing to do with any relative differences between lower and higher frequency sound waves.  BPM has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the things you are trying to link it to.  Nada.

How often one hits a wall with a hammer has nothing to do with how HARD one hits it or how much if any damage it might do.  Your basic premis is simply, utterly, incorrect.

Support the12volt.com
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
alien wrote:
Higher frequencies can be heard farther away because of their initial intensity at any given amplitude when compared to lower frequencies.
I don't mean to be rude, but are you smoking crack? Higher frequencies have a shorter wave length relative to low frequencies. For a given distance, the high frequency will lose the strength of its compression and rarification wave compared to that of low frequencies.
alien wrote:
I've seen experiments done where high frequencies at extremely low powers have cause immense shattering damage over a very short period of time. The same amplitude at a lower frequency didn't do a thing. The idea with peoples' windshields flying out of their cars because of subwoofers is usually air pressure and that has nothing to do with the frequency.
Incorrect, the only time a windsheild will break is when you play a constant frequency that matches its natural frequency, a.k.a. resonating frequency.
I have conducted a test like you speak of. It involved to velodyne 24inch home subwoofers and a 50w RMS x 2 sony amplifier. I fed them a test tone ranging between 15Hz and 45Hz. No to see the effect that the compression and rarification waves had, I placed an 8ft by 8ft pain of glass in front of them. Note that this was mounted in a house so the air space it was playing in to was basically sealed. Anyway, the glass began to resonate and around 18Hz. It began moving ~1in peak to peak. Side note, the glass actually acted as an acoustic panel and shook the crap out of everything :D. ANyway, after about 45 seconds of that the glass shattered into a few thousand pieces.
So, SPL did not break it, frequency didWhy so much bass? - Page 4 -- posted image.
ANyway, about the force/time crap that you mentioned... I think that you should go study fluidic Mechanics sometimes. Most principles that apply to fluids apply to speakers. .
IIRC, the force/time = Impulse
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic