icon

Optima Yellow Top, or Red Top?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  

What's up guy?s. I want to get an Optima battery, but I honestly don't know which to get.

I am going to replace the stock battery under my hood. But, I also have a large system as well (4 1,000 amps, crossover, line driver). I don't want a 2nd battery. I only want one.

I was under the impression that a red top was strictly an under the hood batt, and a yellow top was strictly a 2nd accessory battery.

Basically, I need one that will fullfill both lol. Is it uncommon to use a Yellow Top for under the hood ?.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Here is your answer...
:::::::::EDIT:::::::::
Sorry, THIS is the one I was looking for.
Read the first one too, there is some good info there as well...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
That was a great thread, but I missed where his question was answered as to which battery to buy and what the dif was between the yellow top and red top. Honestly I never have bothered checking it out so I dont even have an answer for him although I see yellow top under the hood all the time.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
You beat me to the punch... I was in edit mode!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

well, I read that post. But I see no mention of Optima Yellow Top or Red Tops.

The only thing that post is talking about is solenoids and isolators.

So how does that answer my question as to if I should get a red or yellow? lol

nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

ahh ok lol. I thought I was losing it.

Thanks guys

nyguy4u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

so haemphyst.. after readin that thread. Basically, I can use either for a single under the hood power source, and power my large system application as well, but spec wise.. you'd lean more towards a red top..

correct?

haemphyst 
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
Yes. Expense also plays a pert for my choice as well, the red-top being cheaper...
Optima Yellow Top, or Red Top? -- posted image.Optima Yellow Top, or Red Top? -- posted image. mo' money fo' caps! LOL!!! NOT!!! Optima Yellow Top, or Red Top? -- posted image.Optima Yellow Top, or Red Top? -- posted image.
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

Go with the Yellow Top, I put one in my 2004 Civic after I did the Big 3 Upgrade and I love it, it gives me enough power to listen to the system when the cars off  when I waiting for my wife to get out of work, my stock battery died very quickly the first time I tried that

It also only take about 3 minutes at 2,000 RPMS to recharge fully

Now there are also other manufactures like , stinger and RF that have similar batteries all in all there deep cycles just like the optimas so take your pick and enjoy

Later

--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
eclipsepaseo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, lets see here where do i start.

First of all Your standard red top should only be used under the hood as a starter battery (hence the 3 year warranty that comes with them)

If you want audio batteries pay the extra money for a yellow top. It will be worth every penny. A red top battery has a recycle rate of 50 when a yellow top I believe is 6 times that. That means the yellow top battery recharges 6 times faster then a red top. When i ran 2 TRU T-series with a Red top paralleled with my stock battery it drained both batterys in less then 6 hours. Then i upgraded to one yellow top and it was able to recharge fast enough. It annihilated the red top because it is designed to be an acc. battery (hence the 1 year warr). What is even more hilarious is I added a VR2000D later down the road on the single yellow top with my hood wet cell and at idle with a 60 hz not playing my voltage stayed above 13. Were talking about an amp that has an upwards draw of almost 300 amps.

Eclipse CD8455
Crossfire VR2000D (3 Eclipse 34230's now)
3 Image Dynamics IDmax 12" v3 D4's
Polk MOMO components (6.5") (rears)
Polk Ex 4" (doors)
2 yellow tops (with tsunami battery toppers)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic