the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Blowing Fuses?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

I wanna know what a "blow proof" fuse is ?Blowing Fuses? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Sounds like what ever it is, it's "not a fuse" to me !

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Nick, it sounds like you have a bad switch, assuming your fuse is good.  A lot of alarms have a fuse used to power parking lights.  Also, if you had a bad switch, the lights would still flash since alarms are connected to the parking light wires after the switch.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
The same thing has been happening to the horn fuse on my car, I have tried upgrading from a 20 to a 30, but it still blows whenever I honk the horn. The horn will work a few times and then I can hear the fuse blow.
Back when the horn worked it would change pitch if you hled it down for a few seconds. It would also go off at random times when the car was off and locked sitting in my driveway and the school parking lot, I would have to hit the horn button on the steering wheel a few times before it would shut off. I dont have a alarm or anything.
83malibuRida 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Nick, it sounds like you have a bad switch, assuming your fuse is good.  A lot of alarms have a fuse used to power parking lights.  Also, if you had a bad switch, the lights would still flash since alarms are connected to the parking light wires after the switch.

the fuse to power the parking lights to the alarm never blows. only the one in the fuse box. i'll try  replacing the switch and let you know my outcome

Nick Scott
geepherder 
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  

Nick,

yes, that's exactly what I mean.  If there's a short to ground anywhere between the fuse and the switch, the factory fuse will blow, without even turning the lights on. 

The alarm will still flash the parking lights as long as the short is not after the switch.  If the short were after the switch, the alarm fuse would blow as well.

Rather than just replacing the switch, I'd check out the wiring at the switch itself.  It's possible that there's a pinched wire  or exposed strands touching ground.  It could be a screw touching the wire as well. 

From what you've written, I don't think your switch is the problem, rather the wires leading to it.

geepherder 
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Pimpin,

your short is somewhere after the horn switch.  You've either got a pinched wire, or exposed wire touching metal.

I'd first disconnect the horns and ohm them out to ensure this is not the problem.  I don't think you have a horn relay, but look in your manual.

83malibuRida 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

thank you electrical god geepherder,

I replaced the switch and every thing seems to be working fine, there was some ripped sleeving on one of the wires leading to the back of the switch but only touching plastic no metal I just taped that up. thanks again. if I have any problems I wont hesitate to post.Blowing Fuses? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Nick Scott
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

Guess I was a little harsh in my previous post, sorry about that. It's just that I've attended to many car fires caused through bad wiring. I'm Volunteer fire fighter and well....you see some bad stuff....One car crashed over turned and went up in flames....Removing the occupant was easy, there was no sterring wheel..just a pair of lockjaw pliers gripped onto the wheel, it impaled him. There was also a car that the driver wanted to run his car on LPG, he had the gass bottle on the back seat with a hose going into the regulator feeding the carby, his throttle was his hand on the tap!. But the most common car fires I see are unfused connections.

Malibu, sorry for jumping down your throat in my last post. I just get kind of worked up when I see stuff like that happening, after reading through the rest of your posts I realised that your not as clueless as I first thought, My sincere apologies to you.

Yours Sincerly, Raymond Wilkinson-Reed

Check all advice given with a meter
83malibuRida 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Overworked2 I think your apology should go to spittin2rock, not me. I never said anything about me making my own "blow proof" fuse. Thats cool that you apologized tho.

by the way I spoke too soon, fuse blew againBlowing Fuses? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. sucks 2 b meBlowing Fuses? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. 

now I am trying to figure out what is triggering it because they stayed on for at least 30min. would exposed strands touching ground before the fusebox blow the fuse?

if I am wrong correct me on my idea of how the loop works:

12v from battery go into fuse box, through corrosponding fuse, then out to switch, using switch one controls what lights come on, then from switch to lights, and from lights to ground.

are the headlights on a different fuse b/c the never go out?

Nick Scott
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Look folks, NEVER replace factory fuses with larger ones or try and defeat a fuse (fer crissakes).  This is pure stupidity and when your car fries around you I hope you survive.  And don't expect your insurance to cover you if a fuse swap to a larger rating has occurred and they discover it.

If you have a fuse that is blowing one of two issues happening: Either

1) You have added loads to the car's electrical system beyond what the wiring is intended to support.  In this case, you must REPLACE ALL THE WIRING with larger gage wire, or run a dedicated, properly fused circuit for your new loads.  Simply increasing the amperage value of the existing fuse is extremely dangerous as you will possibly exceed the capacity of the vehicle's wiring.

2) You have an electrical fault like a short to ground and the fuse is doing exactly what it is intended to do, which is to protect you and your car from catching fire.  This condition needs to be repaired by a competent electrician before the fuse is replaced.

ANY time a fuse blows, you have a problem and replacing it should be your last step AFTER you figure out what is wrong and correct it.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic