icon

Car won’t start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tk34 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

Today, I finished installing autopage rs850, programmed a few of the features different then factory sets, then started testing following instructions in the manual. The remote start worked. Then went for testing the shock sensor. Got into valet mode, and for some reason I couldn't get out of it this time. I read through the whole manual and tried but wouldn't get out. So I thought I would start the car and park it inside (was working outside) and research this, but when i cranked the key, the starter disable kicked in. Now I can't start the car at all with the remote or the key.

Well, i looked through some pages here and thought I found my mistake. In the manual it said to hook pin 85 of the relay to ignition switch, it didn't specify which wire, and the diagram pointed the wire leading to switch where it said "ON" position so I assumed it was to the ignition wire. Well now that I look at the diagrams here I think it should be hooked up to constant 12v+ wire instead, so I went back down and did that, but still no starting and still stuck in valet mode. Everytime I hold the valet key for more then 2 secs it just simply pages my remote.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on with my alarm, it's my first time doing this and I knew it was to good to be true for me to finish without any problems. Any bit of help at all would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

tk34 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  

Forgot to add that my car is 2003 corolla, auto. Is there also a way to totally reset the alarm brain and all the remotes? I would like to start back from scratch when all this gets cleared.

Thanks again

tk34 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

There are 2 start disable wires in my alarm. One ground output when armed, and one grounded output when disarmed. I only hooked up the grounded armed. It said first to cut starter wire, pin 86 of the relay to alarm, pin 87 blank, pin87a to starter, pin 30 to starter wire from igntion harness(the one i cut), and 85 to "igntion switch" which is my question mark. What wire should this hook up to? I initially had it at ignition wire and screwed things up, then I tried putting it to 12v after but still nothing.

I also didn't hook up one of the programmable output wires which was for 2 step unlock (which I don't have), factory security disarm signal (which I don't have) and start status (shock sensor bypass) output which I didn't know where to hook up to. Could this be causing problem at all? Where do I hook it up to, if i need to that is? Please help!!!

boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
tk34 wrote:

Today, I finished installing autopage rs850, programmed a few of the features different then factory sets, then started testing following instructions in the manual. The remote start worked.

You say the remote start worked once. Concentrate on what you did after that. What happens now when you turn the key or try to remote start? It may sound silly but, perhaps you ran your battery dead. Make sure it shows 12 or more volts and try again.

tk34 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Checked the battery it was at 12.46 volts should be good i think, I also checked the fuses to the alarm all good too. After I finished testing the start timer with the remote I believe I went into test mode for the hood/trunk pin/door and shock sensor so I got into start feature 2 programming mode as the manual stated. But couldn't get out, that's as far as I know. And then I tried to start with key and it wouldn't work.

I have since totally disconnected the start disable relay because the manual said this is optional, still no luck. Does anybody know what more I can do? All my alarm will do is lock and unlock, it won't even arm or disarmed (stuck in disarmed). I wish there was some sort of way I could just reset everything, since I took that relay out I'm thinking everything would be ok.

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
2003 Corolla has no immoblizer bypass, so we can eliminatd that as the cause.
Charge up your battery first as suggested by boomer_106.
Connect the starter wire back together the way it was.
Connect the ignition wire back the way is was orginallly.
Check you shifting gear and make sure it is fully in PARK.
UNPLUG the alarm/starter unit only. Don't remove the wire that you have already connect to the car. It would not affect the car in anyway.
Try that first and post your result.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Car won’t start -- posted image.
tk34 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2005 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  

It was a blown fuse!!! I checked voltage on the starter wire during cranking and got nothing. So I found the fuse for it, and sure enough it was blown. Must've been caused by the start disable relay I hooked up wrong. I disconnected the relay and replaced the fuse, it starts fine now.

My question now is what wire do I hook up to pin 85 of the start disable relay (if I were to hook up pin 86 to alarm, pin 87 to starter, pin 30 to start wire from ignition harness)?

Thanks for all your help I'm so glad my car starts now and was only a blown fuse, such a relief!!

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2005 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
Car won’t start -- posted image.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Car won’t start -- posted image.
tk34 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I just want to clear possible uncertainties.

The diode on my relay harness is flipped around (marking on diode is closer to pin 85 side), it has 85 connected to "??", 86 connected to the alarm, 87a is connected to the starter and 30 connected to the starter wire from ignition switch. I'm guessing this is ok, everything is just switched around the other way. In the diagram above it says "to ign. 12v+". Is that the constant 12v+ wire? Or is that the actual ignition wire?

Also, unfortunately my problems aren't over yet. This morning I went to start the car, and nothing. Same fuse blew, I no longer have the start disable relay in and everything is connect how it should be without it. I'm thinking back, both times this happend was after I triggered the alarm.

There is wire from my alarm going to my starter wire. Can somebody tell me what this wire is for? Could this be a more primitive start disable that blows the starter fuse if an attempt is made to start the car after alarm is triggered? I'm not entirely sure what this wire does, all it says is "starter output" and it warns me about making sure it is connected before the neutral safety switch and after start disable relay when used.

Please excuse all my newbie questions, with this being my first time I'm sort of reluctant to move on without a basic understanding of how this works and why my starter fuse already blew twice. Any help is much appreciated!!

nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
hook that to the ignition wire. this wire is at the harness coming from the ignition cylinder were you put your key to start the car. The wire when you test it will not show voltage (0). When you put your key in the ignition then flip it to the acc. position then start the car it will show 12volts. when you start the car the voltage should change just a bit (9.5)(10)volts. that's the ignition wire.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic