icon

Sealed Back Line Array Drivers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

any body have an  opinion on these drivers: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=167945&gemail=1

these really appealed to me because they were sealed, and an 150rms power handling at 8 ohms

how would these sound inside a car, along the back shelf? practical?

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

Eminance has been around FOREVER, building hardcore stuff.......these look cool, one hell of a 6.5.

Good for some "rear fill"

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Back up here. Why would you need or want speakers designed for 500-3khz along the back shelf?
This just sounds like one of those ideas that will just add complexity and unevenness to your system.
I think it is a bad idea.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

I agree.  The speaker you link to is a decent mid-range driver when used as intended: in a line-array.  Not something I'd recomend putting into a car, and especially not "along the back shelf." 

What is your intention and maybe we can recomend something.

Support the12volt.com
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

well my ultimate intension is to find a close to full range driver that i can use in the car, not components, not a coaxial, that can take alot of punishment

i want to replace my kove coaxials essentially

imaging is not a main concern for me, i want something that is efficient at  8 ohms

what do u have in mind?

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
what is a line array?
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
"paper cone with cloth cone edge" Sealed Back Line Array Drivers -- posted image.
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

materials mean nothing to me. some of the most efficient drivers use paper cones and cloth surrounds,  i have a few paper cone drivers older than me that'll rip the skin off your faceSealed Back Line Array Drivers -- posted image.

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

Wiseguy wrote:
i want something that is efficient at  8 ohms

I know you're familiar with all I'm about to say but I'll put it out here just to make a clear point.   A speaker is rated at a certain impedance for specific applications, such as at 4 ohm for car audio and 8 ohm home audio, typical.  You of course can use 8 ohm drivers in the car and doing so will allow the amplifier to produce power at (normally) better specs.  The downside is that you are using only a portion of the available power, so a car amp that is rated 2 X 60 watts into 4 ohms will produce 2 X 30 watts into 8 ohms.  Efficiency doesn't factor in.  In order to use the car's power resources smarter, especially for back shelf speakers, using drivers rated at 4 ohms will allow your amp to produce power at its rated specs.  I think you would have to have very specific SQ intentions with certain up-front drivers to want to use the amp at an 8 ohm load.

The sound that comes from the rear should be very close to the same sound that comes from the front speakers so that the combination will blend in the car and create a "spot" of focus somewhere around the front seat occupants' heads.  A full-range driver, in order to produce something close to full range music, has to have some sort of way to produce both midbass and high freqs.  They usually have a whizzer cone in the center that will successfully reproduce the high freqs that the main cone will not.  There is no crossover involved with that concept, it's just because of the limitations inherent in cone sizes.  OEM speakers in cars, and tabletop radios, have used these whizzer cone full-range speakers since before I was born.

I don't think that's what you really want.  The sound will differ from the sound from your fronts.  What do you have in the front, anyway?

BTW, I was searching for a pic of a line-array and couldn't find a good example yet.  But picture a tall, narrow floor-standing speaker system sitting beside a big screen TV with about 10 or more speakers all the same size lined up and down it, packed real close together.

Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

i have 8 ohm drivers up front

btw i know 8 ohm speakers on an amp will run at half the power, thats not really my concern

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic