the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Sealed Back Line Array Drivers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2005 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
Wiseguy, are you talking about seeing the girl in your car, or the speakers? ;-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Actually..... line arrays have been around for quite some time. The Sure "Vocal Masher" was a very easrly line array speaker. The object of a line array is very tight dispersion coupled with very controlled frequency response. This enables a live sound tech to adequately tailor an array of speakers to perform ver very predictably with regards to coverage, SPL, and response. You can easily have 105db from 10 feet in front of the stage to 300 feet back, with maybe a 2db variation. Pretty neat stuff. Retarded expensive, but, very very effective.
Some of the best examples can be found from the following manufacturers: Nexo (Geo and GeoT), L'Acoustics (VDOSC), JBL (Vertec), EV (X-Line and XLC), Meyer, Martin, Adamson, and of course, EAW (KF760, and the KF730 SLAM).
Really amazing at the technologies that are progressing in the Live audio industry, sooner or later, it will start to spill over into the regular consumer market.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Wiseguy, I get the impression that you come from a pro-sound background.  Is this true?  You seem to be looking for high efficiency and high power handling.  Just keep in mind that car audio is a completely different field.  Instead of a wide open area, you are in a confined and limited space.  What works well in one instance won't work in another.  Oddly enough line arrays are a perfect example of this as they have serious lobing issues in the near field.  Their near field is pretty large, and therefore doesn't work well in car audio or most home audio (in my experiences).  However as was mentioned above, they work great in pro sound where you want to fill as much space with sound.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
Wiseguy, I get the impression that you come from a pro-sound background.  Is this true?

I guess you could say that... I personally have only be interested in the audio world for about three years. But my dad was an engineer for Universal Recording Studios before they closed their doors many years ago and Shure before they started a big layoff.

Steven Kephart wrote:
You seem to be looking for high efficiency and high power handling.  Just keep in mind that car audio is a completely different field.  Instead of a wide open area, you are in a confined and limited space.  What works well in one instance won't work in another.  Oddly enough line arrays are a perfect example of this as they have serious lobing issues in the near field.  Their near field is pretty large, and therefore doesn't work well in car audio or most home audio (in my experiences). 

I am using two pro audio drivers up front and they are killer. I just wanted to find a speaker that would not be damaged from subwoofer excursion in the rear. I saw that these were sealed so they were appealing. I didnt want to have to build encloures for my rear 6 1/2 Koves if I didn't have to, i tried using baffles and they were usesless. Unless you guys can recommend something else...

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Any suggestions? Or should i just leave everything alone?
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Use your Kove's and glass some enclosure bubbles for them.
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Is there any good sealed drivers that I can find? I really don't have the time to construct any enclosures at the moment.
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

Those Fostex drivers look interesting... Any recommendations on those? Price range?

These look sick!! http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/FE-E-Sigma-Series.shtml

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
kfr01 
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
They could be nice full range drivers for rear fill. Why not go with the same drivers you have in front though to obtain the same voicing?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the diagram for the recommended enclosure for one of those full-range speakers you mentioned, Wiseguy.  I believe this setup is quite different than what you imagine it to be.  I'm not convinced that a full-range speaker application is what you really want in the back shelf.  It sounds like your main concern is that the back of the rear shelf speakers will be bombarded with sound pressure from the subwoofer and will either be destroyed or the voicing will be obstructed.  A simple side-to-side fiberboard baffle is all you really need, such as those that are part of most sedans separating the rear shelf from the trunk.  You can easily construct one using a stiff fiberboard covered with lightweight carpet and solve the problem of the impeding sound waves.  The large baffle will act as a large enclosure and let any speaker perform as it should.  Then your choice of rear speakers can be made because you want a certain overall sound in the car as the decision should be made.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic