icon

So I'm getting started on the console.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rick_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

Looks good, do you have more pics?  I do not have any suggestions to offer, but will be watching your progress as I have one I need to do for a 96 F250.

More pics please.

Rick H...

TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

No more pics yet... It has only progressed via the insides of the cc so there is not much to see... today I'm redoing the final rear part of the console.

Does anyone know how much thickness to compensate for a layer of glass on the mdf?

Dyson 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Looks great man, if i can make one suggestion it would be to round over the edges of the piece with a round over bit oin a router, the wrapping will sit and look better that way. Id use a polar fleece to wrap a piece like that, as it will soak up resin better than grill cloth and come out a lot stronger.  Good Job man
Dyson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Looks great man, if i can make one suggestion it would be to round over the edges of the piece with a round over bit oin a router, the wrapping will sit and look better that way. Id use a polar fleece to wrap a piece like that, as it will soak up resin better than grill cloth and come out a lot stronger.  Good Job man
nitsuj 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
your test looks better than i can ever hope my final products to look like!  keep us posted w/ pics.
intelligence level inversely proportional to beers consumed
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Dyson wrote:

I know you can't see it but the edges are round over with a router bit.

There are two kinds of fleece that glassers use the most.  One is thicker than the other.  I have a shat load of the thinner kind.  I'm hoping that this will be good enough.  Is polar fleece the thicker kind?

Thanks,

TCalYen

TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

BTW,

The cross pieces you see are screwed in temporarily just to hold the two side pieces in place so that I can take measurements.

Dyson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

cool man, just hard to tell in the pic!

Mostly the materials i use from thinnest to thickest are - Grill Cloth, Polar Fleece and Plush Felt.

The Polar fleece is probably what you have, its kind of like the stuff you get on fleecy coats, you will need to soak it inside and out though, and use resin expander(Fumed Silica) with the resin on the inside as it will save you on resin.

Might be a good idea to keep the Cross sections in for strength to, you wont see them once its wrapped.

Keep the pics rollin in man!

TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

I'll post a pic of the fleece I have.

The console will be braced significantely inside due to the storage compartments.  When I finish the rear section of the console I'll post some more pics so you can see everything I'm talking about.  If you look at the picture I did post, the sides of the rear console that you see are going to be wrapped in either black vinly (sp) or blk tweed.  So with the sides done that way I'm going create a lid out of 1/2" mdf for the flat portion of the console and glass directly over that.  I still have to figure out what to do about the curved portions.

The part of the console that you don't see if from the radio slots on that will be fab'ed out of mdf and fiberglass and will flow from the dash to the center console and house a 10" monitor.

I'll try to get the rear section almost done tonight.

Keep the suggestions and info coming.

Thanks,

TCalYen

TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

I'll post a pic of the fleece I have.

The console will be braced significantely inside due to the storage compartments.  When I finish the rear section of the console I'll post some more pics so you can see everything I'm talking about.  If you look at the picture I did post, the sides of the rear console that you see are going to be wrapped in either black vinly (sp) or blk tweed.  So with the sides done that way I'm going create a lid out of 1/2" mdf for the flat portion of the console and glass directly over that.  I still have to figure out what to do about the curved portions.

The part of the console that you don't see if from the radio slots on that will be fab'ed out of mdf and fiberglass and will flow from the dash to the center console and house a 10" monitor.

I'll try to get the rear section almost done tonight.

Keep the suggestions and info coming.

Thanks,

TCalYen

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic