icon

Subwoofers fades on low frequencies

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
N34l 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

I've got 2 x 12" Kenwood Typhoons installed in a sealed enclosure and they're hooked up on to a 2000 Watt monoblock Amp and gain is set about 30% . Whenever I play mp3s/songs with exstremely low bass tones/frequencies (like rap/hip hop type) it fades out. It almost makes like a funny rumbling noise. Could it be that there's not anough ampage to the subs or could it be a setting on the crossover ?

Thanks

"when it's too loud, you're too old..."
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

what kind of HU are you running?

mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I sometimes here a low rumbling noise as well but my bass is not fading out. I have no idea what is causing it. I've checked all the wiring and it all seemed fine. My noise is random but it is very low frequency. It can occur with the CD on "Pause" with the engine on or off. It stops as suddenly as it starts. Wierd!
I am running an Alipine CDA-9831 head unit.
Mike
N34l 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
ss-installer wrote:

what kind of HU are you running?

I have the JVC KD-LHX501 Touch/Voice Mp3/WMA Head Unit.

ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
check your ground and make sure it has a good connection (scrape the hell out of the paint). make sure your RCAs are tight .
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
It is most likely the MP3... MP3's TRASH low and high frequencies, and, well, they are not very nice to mids, either. Another thing could be your enclosure. If the Q of the system is too low or too high, the response gets really nasty - either peaky or too fast a roll-off. Does your amp have a subsonic filter (either fixed or adjustable) and is it on? If it is on, turn it off if possible. My first thought was the MP3, though...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
N34l 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Nope it also happens with normal audio CDs... I'll play around with the settings and so on and I'll have a look for that subsonic filter. I'll try and re-adjust the ground, but seems fine. Thanks
c3d 
Copper - Posts: 45
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Check the range of your subwoofers, its usually 20hz-250/300hz. If the songs are going lower than that, the subs have nothing to play. The seems to be enough amperage, also check the frequency output on your amp as well, make sure its down low. and check to see if ur amp has a built in crossover, and check its setting as well.
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A
1994 Audi 90 Quattro CS
c3d 
Copper - Posts: 45
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, make sure its set to LPF. And check your head units built in crossover settings. set to to a preset bass level.
1987 Nissan 300ZX N/A
1994 Audi 90 Quattro CS
N34l 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
I'm confirming that there is a built in crossover... I've got both LPF and HPF. The LPF is set to full and the HPF is set to low. Then there's a couple of other settings, but I'm not sure about them. I'll have a look later and tell you what they are. The ground is perfectly grounded so I reckon it is a setting on the crossover ? I've got a seperate 2/3 way crossover aswell between my 2000 Watt monoblock for my subs and my 700 Watt Calibra wich feeds my 6 x 9" Kenwoods.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic