icon

93 Supra won’t start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KraziSupra93 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Went out to start my car the other day and well it didn't start. Turned the key and I got nothing, not even a clicking noise. Just dead silence. The car has been sitting for a couple months but I checked and charged the battery and its reading 12-14 volts which is plenty to turn the car over. So read the manuals and went after what they said to do if your engine doesnt crank .Replaced the starter since it  failed all 6 tests, but the car still did not start. Checked every fuse I could find and everyone was good. Even went after the ignition switch and checked that, and that was fine. i have all my interior lights and headlights, doesn't make sense? Although now I'm thinking its the alarm doing all this. I really don't know anything about the orginal alarm that came with the car but I bought the car with an aftermarket alarm as well. On the key ring it says Viper but I also have a specail key that is needed to start the car and that is a Clifford. If anyone can help me it would be a big help. I have to get the car running ASAP! Thanks so much!

When the green light drops, the bullsh*t stops...
ken984 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
If it was the alarm you would almost certainly see the parking lights flashing and or a siren going off. Do any of the remote buttons make anything happen?? And if so which one the Viper or the Clifford? Viper up until recently used only cormally closed starter kill so pulling the fuse would disable the starter kill and it would start, Clifford has had both types so pulling a fuse there might not allow the car to start depending on which starter kill system is installed. Also the lights working is irreleveant to the car starting, lights draw almost no current compared to the starter drawing 400+ amps. You need to check the battery with a device that can put a load on the battery.
KraziSupra93 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
The alarms were there when i bought the car. I pulled two fuses which i thought were for the alarm. It shut off for a couple seconds and then turned right back on?? Almost like it rerouted itself another way. Any way i could set the alarms? What if i got them ripped out? Oh and what would putting a load on the battery do? What would it tell me?
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well what probably happened was the alarm timed it self out, most run between 30 seconds and 1 minute per event, it jsut happened that you pulled the fuse at that moment, then the alarm sensed another event and set it self off, or maybe it has a battery backup system on it. If the alarm is going off then you need to disarm it with the remote, check the batteries in the remotes if it is not responding, the led will light even if the battery is so weak it won't transmit. Also look for a Valet switch if you can find that you can use the key and the switch to disarm the system. I do not think your car battery is totally dead but a voltmeter wont tell you if it has a dead cell in it under load.
KraziSupra93 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Where would the valet switch be? Alarm isn't goin off unless i make it.  If the battery did have a dead cell could it make the car not start like this?
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
valet switch could be anywhere but most of the time its under the driver side of the dash, coould be a toggle if its a clifford system or if its a viper its most likely a small black pushbutton. does the alarm chirp once or twice when you arm it?
Don't worry about the battery right now. If it was the battery it would do something when you turned the key.
KraziSupra93 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
There is a toggle switch under the drivers side. I found it a while ago but didn't know what it was or what it could do so i left i alone thinking it was nothing. Now how can i tell if it is for the alarm? Do i flick it the other way. Will it disarm the alarm or reset it? The alarm will sometimes chirp once or twice when i arm it or unarm it. It seems to go in and out.
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
If the toggle is a valet turn the key on and then flip the switch, see what happens...it could be a manual kill switch and just flipping it could let the car start.
worth a try at this point.
KraziSupra93 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah it is I will have to try it. Though right now my ignition switch is out of the car.  I heard from a couple people that it could be a fusible link could have melted or something? Do you know where they are and how I could locate them?
ken984 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
No clue about where a fusible link would be, they are difficult to find sometimes. However i do not think there is a big chance of that being the cause, the link from the key to the starter relay should not have any fuses in it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic