icon

Total System Tuning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Good grief Stevdart! I thought I was the only one who could take things to such limitsTotal System Tuning - Page 2 -- posted image. It is just so easy to dive right in to this stuff and loose track of time, reason, and sometimes sanity!
Thanks for the RTA link kfr01. I think I'm going to ask my installer friend if he has one just to "play" with.
Mike
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
How are you liking speaker workshop?  Did you build a wallin jig, or just make some cords?

kfr01, my understanding of how electrical components work together shot way up using that program.  It's a real pleasure to know exactly what's behind the tuning of the sounds you here and why the pieces of the puzzle are there.  But although my electronics IQ is higher now after using Speaker Workshop for awhile.....I still have no idea what those terms "wallin jig" or "cords" mean....

Total System Tuning - Page 2 -- posted image. "I'm Mis-ter Clue-less..."

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'm probably not using the right terms. :-)
I was wondering what hardware you're using to test your speakers response and impedence. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, hardware....well, I have a graph representation of impedance with speaker workshop and when I have this thing built I'll test it with my DMM. 

For speaker response, I'll use the old standbys I've used all my life.....

Total System Tuning - Page 2 -- posted image.

(...just kidding, kfr01, but that's all I have...lol...)

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

So, you're doing tweaking of the xo response w/o having real driver frequency response information to work with? 

Please know I'm not criticizing - I am honestly curious about your setup - I haven't been courageous enough to take the dive into crossover designing yet.  Sometimes I enter a state I like to call "analysis paralysis" where I research every solution to death and never really act on it. 

stevdart 
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not tweaking yet...I got ahead of myself.  I just have the two-way system set up on paper and diagrams and have the crossover board laid out at this point.  I have everything to put it all together but I haven't cut my wood yet.  What I was doing was trying to achieve a frequency response (using the software programs) from 120 Hz to 18000 Hz that is relatively flat, and achieve high enough impedance to run this center channel on my system.

I'm letting the tweeter response rise higher in db than the lower-than-1000 Hz response because the enclosure will sit high relative to the seating positions and also because I want distinctly clear dialogue.  Most likely the only tweaking I will do after assembly is to decide whether to put the L-pad back into the tweeter circuit and whether to make it -1 ohm or -2 ohm.  I have the resistors to make either so I'll probably try it out all ways and settle for the best sound I get with that amount of tweaking.

And, yeah, I feel confident that my ears will tell me if something's amiss....  ;)  Since it's just for my own personal use I won't have to generate a frequency response graph to present along with it like I would if this were a commissioned project...

stevdart 
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

Oh, it just dawned on me where you're stuck trying to envision how I got a frequency response to work with in the first place...  I used the program that is a part of the FRD called SPL Trace.  I traced the manufacturer's frequency response graphs for the two speakers I'm using and put them together in Speaker Workshop.  The crossover and impedance correction circuitry started at that point.

This is the original Vifa Infinity woofer response graph:

Project1.jpg

This is the original Tang Band tweeter graph:

25-669sd_b.jpg

I traced those frequency plots along with the impedance plots and they became .FRD and .ZMA files that can be shared among the FRD programs.  So they went to both Unibox and to Speaker Workshop to get worked on.

This is a response (plotted) using Unibox with two of those woofers and a port, below 1000 Hz:

5C6_VB_Response_Infinity_TC11MG-07-04Xover.gif

This is the result of my work in Speaker Workshop with all crossovers and Zobel network added and is what I am stopping at.

Copy_of_captured.jpg

Now I'm using this response plot along with Unibox's graph (which includes some added low end due to the port) as my intended finished target.  What I actually get is what my ears will tell me :).

kfr01 
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Ahhhhh Cool. That's exactly what I was wondering. :-)
Neat program!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic