icon

12 Sub suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to upgrade from an Alpine SWE-1242 to something a little nicer (and louder!).
I would like to keep my Pioneer GM-7100M amp (RMS= 250x1 @ 4ohm, 360x1 @ 2ohm). Unless I find a great sub that meets all the other criteria, then I may consider upgrading my amp too.
I'd also like to keep my 1.57 ft^3 sealed box (could port it if sub allows).
And I'd like to spend $150 or less on the 12" sub.
I'm open to all suggestions.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry to say that replacing just the subwoofer here will not meet your expectations for both significantly better sound quality and spl.
That Alpine is already relatively efficient.
My advice:
If you want to keep that amplifier: get an efficient 15" driver and port it. Build a new box.
If you don't want to keep that amplifier - then your options are only limited by electrical system and budget. I'm personally not a believer in high-wattage high-spl sub-bass systems.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Well really, I'm just wanting to experiment with different kinds/brands of subs.
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Also, a new amp wouldn't be much of a big deal. I think the max I want to go is 450-500rms though. Just because I don't want my little truck to blow up.
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
What are your guys' thoughts on Infinity Kappa Perfects?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
I hear they are excellent. Nice high sensitivity. Would work well with your current amplifier.
Go for it.
That sensitivity is really high. Does anyone know if that number is accurate?
Edit: the quoted 96db efficiency is "in car."
So, does anyone know offhand what the "real" reference efficiency of these drivers is?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
Go to Adire Audio at http://www.adireaudio.com/ and click on the Mobile link then choose Shiva from the sidebar. It should be a good surprise. Recommended airspace is about 1.5 cu. ft. and running at 360 watts @ 2 Ohms should be just right.
Peace
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about a Shiva. But how is their SPL?
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
I believe they are made for a budget SPL sub. But right now aren't they only available in DVC 8omh? So eigther a 4 or 16ohm setup. Unless you wait for their new lineup. Then they are making DVC 2, 4 and 8ohm.
BTW I was looking for places online that you can still buy the old Adire lineup while they make their revisions and found these:
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/by_brand.shtml
http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.asp?pg=products&grp=21
http://lethalaudio.com/?page=shop/browse&category_id...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
I hear they are excellent. Nice high sensitivity. Would work well with your current amplifier.
That sensitivity is really high. Does anyone know if that number is accurate?
Edit: the quoted 96db efficiency is "in car."
So, does anyone know offhand what the "real" reference efficiency of these drivers is?

"Real" anechoic efficiency is more on the order of 86db @ 1W/1m.  Still a nice sounding fairly efficient driver.  I use a Perfect 12d @ 8-ohms sealed with approx. 150 watts input and it sounds great to me.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic