Relay Wiring, Lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2000 Jeep Chero 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmm.

I did not realize that the dual relay receptacles were not straight through cable connections.  I will check them closely when they arrive.  Thanks for the heads-up!

EACH set of FF50's have a relay.  If that's the case ... will I need ANY additional relays?  The 2nd set is not installed yet as I want to get the full relay wiring picture first.  I can easily move the trigger on the driving lights relay over to the parking light 12V lead.  Then, both my HID's and Driving lights will work with the parking lights.

I think the BOTH have 85, 86, 87 and 30 ONLY without the 87A.  Do I need to replace one as in the last drawing?  I hate to say I think I'm still a little confused - but I think I'm still a little confused. 

Thanks again ... and I'm confident in YOUR abilities! / Rick

Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

You CAN use the  four terminal relay for the FF50 driving lights and the HID lights you have now.

However, you MUST use the 5 terminal bosch style relay for the Hi Beam relay.  You need this type of relay with terminal 87a so that the Low Beams go off when the Hi Beams are switched on.

Whats happening in the two relay diagram is, the +12v battery power is connected to terminal 30 on the Hi Beam relay on the left in the diagram.  This +12v is immediately going out thru terminal 87a over to terminal 30 on the Low Beam relay, which powers the Low Beam lights when the Low Beam relay terminal 86 sees 12v from what will be the parking light lead.  But when you hit the dimmer switch to activate the Hi Beam lights, the Hi Beam relay sees 12v from the Hi Beam lead and switches the +12v from terminal 87a to 87 on the Hi Beam relay, subsequently cutting the power to Low Beam relay terminal 30, so the low beam lights go out!  Then, when you switch the Hi Beams off, the +12v on Hi Beam relay terminal 87 goes back to terminal 87a and the Low Beam lights come back on, until the power thru the parking light lead is turned off.

A relay in its basic form is just a switch.

With a four terminal relay, when the relay is activated, the power flows in thru terminal 30 and out thru terminal 87, thats as simple as it gets. Four terminal relays are dumb as a ..........hammer! 

With a five terminal bosch style relay, power flows from terminal 30 thru to terminal 87a until the relay is activated, then the power flows out terminal 87.  This type of relay gives you more switching options, especially when using multiple relays to perform a certain task.

You get four, five or more relays wired together and the "relay logic" sometimes gets harder to understand than "Chinese Arithmetic."

What gauge wire are you using to power the lights?  The 12v battery feed (input) wire from the battery source to terminal 30 should probably be 12 gauge since the lights most likely will be drawing a lot of current, likewise, the output wire from terminal 87 to the lights should also be 12 gauge.  For terminals 85 and 86 you can use a smaller size wire, like 16 or 18 gauge, but use the same size for both terminals. 

Post back if you are still confused or have any additional questions.

Don

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

Don

Thanks for the additional detail.  I think I get it.  Now I need to check and see which type relay I just ordered four of ...

I will probably install/wire them later this week and will post a follow-up then.  Thanks for your help! 

Rick

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Don,

Here's the link to the sockets that I ordered.  I didn't see that they said, "designed for all types of door locks."

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&PartNumber=330-078

Are they wired straighed through?  I guess, since I only need one of the 5 terminal relays ... I could use the lugs and tape them well.

Thanks,

Rick

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

Don;t feel so bad about ordering the dual relay sockets without seeing the fine print.  I did the same thing and ordered two of them for a wiring job I was doing for a friend.  Then I found out I had to modify the wiring to use them for what I needed.  They are prewired with a few of the common terminals wired together, like terminals 85 and 30 I think. I don't remember exactly. 

You can cut the wires that are jumpered together to make each side of the receptacle independent or standalone for each relay.  The receptacle terminal plugs are anchored into the receptacle, they make a small bladed screwdriver type tool that you can insert into each terminal plug to depress the terminal anchor lug so you can pull the terminal plug and wire out thru the bottom of the receptacle, so you can change the wiring if need be. You may be able to imprevise with a small screwdriver or a large paper clip to depress the anchor lug with.

I normally don't use the plug receptacles, I just wire the relay up using 1/4" female blade connectors that are plastic coated on the outside so they won't short out to anything nearby. Although, they do come in handy if you have to remove the relay and put it back in, so you don't have to remember where each wire goes.

Good luck with the install, I don't think you will have any problems.

Don 

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks!

I do have ONE problem though ... I ran into a car at a stoplight this afternoon and waited 3 hours for the tow truck.  NOT happy.  Thankfully, we're both OK.  My front bumper is trashed, both Hella's installed in the bumper need to get swapped, HID lights work - but one is poined to the side and the bucket is off a little.  I can't believe how angry I am.  Oh well, I guess that's why they call it an accident and not an on purpose.

Way PISSED off ... RICK!  (Boo Hoo Hoo)

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

Don, I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack and my Jeep is out of the shop and fixed!  $3,000 worth of cosmetic damage and back in business.  Ok.  Here's what I did to "prepare" for the addition of the 2nd relay for my High Beam FF50's:  I'm using the Hella relay triggered from the parking lights (just like my HID's) and now BOTH the Driving Set of FF50's and my HID's will come on with the parking lights.  Step one - done.

The #'s (85,86,30 & 87 don't seem to line up when I look at your diagram for the Hella relay and when I check the actual relay.  On the Hella relay, I've got:  a Red, Blue, Green and Black wire coming off of it.  The Red is to the Battery, the Black is grounded, the Blue is going to the Driving FF50's and the Green is going to the Parking Light Trigger. 

So, please correct me if I'm wrong:  I'm pulling the Red from the Hella Relay currently to the Battery and moving it to the Parking Light Trigger.  I'm also pulling the Green from the Hella Relay currently to the Parking Light Trigger and moving it to the Bosch High Beam Relay 87A.  Then, completing the Bosch High Beam Relay:  85 to ground, 87 to the FF50 High Beam Positives, 86 to the OEM Hi Beam Trigger (from unused old H4 plug) and 30 to the Battery. And of course, grounding the High Beam FF50's.

Does that look right to you?  I just want to be sure since I've jumped the gun before and made silly mistakes.  I think I've got.

Thanks again for your assistance!  Rick

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone ... Anyone ...

I would like to attempt this later today, Tuesday, April 26 - but only if one of you kind & smart & technical gurus can confirm that this is OK.

THANKS ... IN ADVANCE,  Rick

Hoptup32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

You've almost got it ! 

The red wire on the Hella relay is the only wire you remove from this relay.  Move the red wire, going to the battery on the hella relay, to terminal 30 on the Hi Beam relay.  Then you connect a wire from terminal 87a of the Hi Beam relay ,back to the hella relay where the red wire was attached.   Connect the remaining wires to the Hi Beam relay as you indicated, Hi Beam trigger to 86, ground to 85, FF50's to 87.

The red wire going to the battery, the blue wire going to the FF50's, the wire from terminal 87a of the Hi Beam relay to where the red wire was on the Hella relay and the wire from terminal 87 of the Hi Beam relay to the Hi Beam FF50's should be at least a 12g wire, to handle the large current draw. Likewise, the ground at the lights should be the same 12g wire size.  The relay trigger wires and ground wires, terminals 85 and 86 can be smaller gauge wires, as they just carry a small current to activate the relays.

Wire it up and test it.  Post back with your results.

Don 

2000 Jeep Chero 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2005 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

So, 87A on the Bosch Hi-Beam relay is going directly to the battery - where the Hella red wire was, right.

The rest looks easy enough.  I think I will try it tomorrow since it's a little later than I thought ... dinner, kids, homework, WIFE !

Why are you in the garage ... AGAIN ???

Thanks for the response and please confirm the first sentence.  I think I read it right.

Rick

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic