icon

Fiberglass Horror Stories

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
In my opinion fg is like installing in general. It's almost imposible to do it right through just trial and error. You have to have someone that knows what their doing to show you the hows and whys.
So don't go buying resin and bondo until you get someone to show you how to do it.... Just ask the mustang guy!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
I disagree. I started on my own. It wasn't until I was almost as good as I am now that I even met anybody that knew what they were doing. If you study up, you can do it without any training whatsoever. The mustang guy didn't study sh*t. Heck I think he even used fiberglass insulation. So, if your an idiot like him, please don't even ask anyone to help you, just forget about it and pay someone to do it for you. Otherwise, read, learn, do.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Znergy 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Are there any good videos or anything, that can take you step by step through the processes?
Rick_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

oonikfraleyoo wrote:
I disagree. I started on my own. It wasn't until I was almost as good as I am now that I even met anybody that knew what they were doing. If you study up, you can do it without any training whatsoever. The mustang guy didn't study sh*t. Heck I think he even used fiberglass insulation. So, if your an idiot like him, please don't even ask anyone to help you, just forget about it and pay someone to do it for you. Otherwise, read, learn, do.

As a Newbie, I totally agree.

I have completed eight projects so far and not one failed.  Did I find easier ways to do things as I made them, sure, thats part of the process of honing ones skills.  Did I have prior FG experience, some, a long time ago I used it to fill a rust hole in a van I had. Am I as good as I am going to get, no, not till I die. This site gave me the spring board I needed to get off on the right foot. (Thanks ya all!)

Rick H...

abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2005 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
I also agree with you all. Read read and read some more. Even when you think you know it all, you don't. I started off by myself and learned everything the hard way, like a hot batch catching fire wile I was holding the cup(it got really hot way to fast). But have patients and always listen to others because when you think you know it all you will fall hard on your ass.
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

abovestock wrote:
I also agree with you all. Read read and read some more. Even when you think you know it all, you don't. I started off by myself and learned everything the hard way, like a hot batch catching fire wile I was holding the cup(it got really hot way to fast). But have patients and always listen to others because when you think you know it all you will fall hard on your ass.

yeah, you will probably end up setting yourself or your garage on fire the first time you do it, but usually not the second time.  I started with really small projects like the first one was an alarm clock.  I just removed the guts from an old one and (tried to) put it into a cool FG shell, yeah, by the time it was finished, it looked like the old mustang project without the 200lbs of cement it looks like he used.

Just keep in mind the batch temperature is one of the hardest things to perfect other than mixing enough for the layers you want.  Your first project will look like mustang (crap) if you don't spend some time here reading up; it may still turn out like crap because it does take some hands-on practice before you start making trunk molds.

eh? what did you just say?
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic