the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Polarity test with DMM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

The BP1200.1 can normally handle a 1-ohm load, although the distortion numbers go through the roof at that low loading.  Some BP-series amps will not remain stable at 1-ohm, so it could be that.

To both posters above: you cannot, repeat CANNOT set yuor amplifier gain by guessing what the HU output might be and then simply adjusting the pot to, oh, about that point.  You must set it up so that the amplifier input sensitivity matches the HU output.  This requires meters and experience to do it properly, but it can be done by ear using a method described in this forum multiple times.  A quick search found this thread, as an example.  There are others as well.

In the case of a high-voltage HU like the Eclipse, you can use it with an old design low-voltage amp as long as you never turn the HU volume up too high.  You can discover the point of max output by setting the amp gain to minimum and slowly turning up the HU while playing a test tone until you hear the tone change (amplifier begins to clip.)  This would indicate your new MAX HU VOLUME.  Or get a new amp designed for high voltage input.

Support the12volt.com
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
It doesn't destort or clip as far as I can tell, just trying to wring as much power out of the setup as I can without that happening is all.
I am not sure how to set up the rest of the amp really either, it has a -18db to +18db control as well which I keep in the middle at +/-0db, a subsonic filter which I keep off, and a crossover from 40 to 150 which I have at about 80 but am wondering if it can be adjusted to pick up lower bass notes somehow, the deck can be adjusted from 60 to 100.
The input range on this amp is 250mV to 3V by the way, so maybe having the amp gain off is a good idea.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I should have time this weekend to do some tweaking and see what happens.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
I don't own a DMM but I can probably borrow one this weekend, givin your numbers on the other thread I have a 1 ohm load and should be getting 600 watts, which means 24.5 volts to achieve that right? As far as a test tone can these be aquired online somewhere? Will run a search when I am at home tonight.
Thanks for the response.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic