icon

fiberglass cloth vs fiberglass mat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
hey i just started my install on my first attempt to make a coustom fiberglass enclosure.... i have both fiberglass mat and cloth... exactly what is the difference? i used a few pieces of the cloth and mostly mat... the cloth doesnt seem to work very well... can someone help me out on this? thanks a lot in advance!
-benjamin
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Its really just a matter of preference man. The cloth is stronger but some say the mat is easier.  Too me the cloth is a ton easier, but its all in what you want to use. 
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
I like using a layer of cloth, then a bunch of layers of mat (depending on the strength needed) because it builds up quicker, then a couple layers of cloth just because I think it is a little easier to finnish then the mat
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
hm i couldnt figure out whats best so i just did mat then cloth every other layer.. if i wanted strength which one should i use? also isnt one better for flat surfaces and the other for curves and angles? which is which? also if i made a box completely of mat and one with cloth would you see the difference?
thanks again
-benjamin
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Niether is good for flat surfaces but cloth would be the better of the two.
You need fewer layers of cloth to achieve the same strength, but both mat and cloth can be very strong.
If you made a box out of each, and finished it properly, no one would ever be able to tell which was which.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Drocay 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Its all about prefrence, i like to start with cloth for first layer because its easy and clean after that i use mat because it builds quicker. then i finish off with cloth to give me smooth final layer.
jmlaudio 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  

Just think of gcloth, mat, and fleece as a your toolbox.  They are all good but some work better for some situations then others.  You just need to keep trying them out to see what works best in perticular situations.  Hope this helps.

The JML  Audio Staff

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
i like mat on irregular curves, and cloth on flat, and smooth curves.  If your in a rush to get stuff done, then mat is the way to go since cloth takes some time to be shure its smoothed out.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
wow im surprised you guys all perfer mat... its kinda annoying when you rip them... those little freys always gets stuck to everything... and it seems a lot hard to soak them with resin (become clear) then the cloth... but the cloth doesnt seem as strong.. i turned out doing mat cloth mat cloth ect for 7 layers..
lilbenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
wow im surprised you guys all perfer mat... its kinda annoying when you rip them... those little freys always gets stuck to everything... and it seems a lot hard to soak them with resin (become clear) then the cloth... but the cloth doesnt seem as strong.. i turned out doing mat cloth mat cloth ect for 7 layers..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic