icon

Sealed enclosure too small?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amb4life 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
polyfill wont hurt you but that does tell you that you should of maybe had a little bigger box made. you will have to be the judge on how it sounds to have it rebuilt or not.
Eclipse 5435
US Amps Merlin MD2 x 2
US Amps Merlin MD42
Kicker Solo X 18"
MB Quart QSD216 x 2
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
If your not happy (and you probobly dropped a large sum of money on the install) then I would have your installer redo it.
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
So after finding the book on the Eclipse subs, it actually does recommend a box size of .4-.6 cu ft. per sub. So the box is actually spec for them. So guess what happened? I burnt up a voice coil on one of the subs. Smoke, smell, the works. So it looks like I am going to have to find a more efficient, better power handling sub than what I got. I'm going to stick with the box for now til I get the sub thing figured out. Brand new sub down the crapper. Both subs were piping hot when I took them out. Burnt some of the polyfill too. Back to the drawing board. Suggestions for better/more efficient subs are wanted, or I might try a new thread.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Wait a minute, who set the gains, subs only blow if the signal is clipped. Did you go back and adjust the gains? Efficiency or power handling is not going to make one bit of difference if you clip the signal.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

How tight was the poly fill crammed in there?  It should not be touching the sub at all, , especially not near any vents on the sub.  Sounds like your box was to small so you cranked to much power to them to perform like they should in a bigger box and you exceeded their thermal level, plus added poly fill blocking air circulation.

Definately get the box's re built, or maybe try your hands at fiberglassing to the specs fobidden suggested.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the gains were set by the installer which I double checked everything after I got it back to see where it was set. If anything, the polyfill I put in was too much which is why I asked in the previous remark if too much or any can be bad for the box. I did have the knob turned up in front, but the gains on the amp itself were all left alone. sh*ts messed up. Went from bad to worse quick. Don't really have a leg to stand on cuz like I said, he built the box to the specs of the Eclipse. .5 cu ft. per. He's not going to rebuild it for free, thats for sure.
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

I had the 88120s before and had them in gross .85 ft boxes.  About .6 net and those 12s pounded in that air space.

I think you either have a cancellation issue or a setting incorrect

mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
I would definately recommend the PolyFill. Don't go looking for a name brand PolyFill. Just go to Wal-Mart and buy the Polyester pillow stuffing.
My sub's specs called for a 0.6 cu ft enclosure. I ended up with about 0.74 before the sub's volume is figured into the mix. I used PolyFill to make the box seem larger. You can see it here.
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
Walkercustoms 
Copper - Posts: 219
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

I just finished my spare tire box for my SRT-4 and all air space is 2.2cu.ft the subs are the MA 1200Xls and I am running them at 1ohm and pushing them with the Visonik V918XD mono amp.  Them boys slam.  The subs are recommended at .75 to 1.25 of airspace each I figure we are right around that.  My question is with running a X-Over shoud I juice the amp all the way and ajust gain at the X-Over or set the amp a little below full and turn the Sub Sonic dial all the way off or keep it turned up.  I would think I would turn that off and adjust from the X-Over.  Let me know thanks.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

walker customs wrote:  "My question is with running a X-Over shoud I juice the amp all the way and ajust gain at the X-Over or set the amp a little below full and turn the Sub Sonic dial all the way off or keep it turned up.  I would think I would turn that off and adjust from the X-Over.  Let me know thanks."

Wow.  I'd suggest reading some tutorials on setting gain controls first.  Do not simply max them at the amp, and turn them down at the active crossover.  You need to set the gains carefully, starting at the source (headunit's max safe volume- clip free) and work your way down the chain. 

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic