icon

Hooking up an amp to stock radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaceman838 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

I have a stock radio and just bought a 4 channel amp so that I could hook it up to my speakers. The amp came with an external high to low level converter.

Could someone help me out and tell me how to wire this up correctly, because from my understanding this is how it should go but I am not sure...

Ok, so if I understand correctly...

-Split the speaker wires in the back of the radio.

-Connect the wires from the line converter to the speaker leads running from the back of the radio.

-Connect the RCA end of the line converter to the rca-input terminals on the amp.
-And then with the speaker wires that I split, run those to the speaker terminals on the amp?
.... I was also told that all I do is splice the level converter to the speaker wires in the back of the radio and connect the rca end of the level converter into the amps rca input and that's it.

Could someone clearify this. Much help appreciated, thank you!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Basically, you have it.  Don't forget about proper power and ground for the amp.  There is an easy set of adapters you can buy that will make this job much easier and not damage your vehicle's factory wiring.  What vehicle is it and I will direct you to the adapters.
Support the12volt.com
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Basically, you have it.  Don't forget about proper power and ground for the amp.  There is an easy set of adapters you can buy that will make this job much easier and not damage your vehicle's factory wiring.  What vehicle is it and I will direct you to the adapters.

Thanks... So I go with the first method... Split the wires and connect one end to the level converter and connect the other end to the speaker terminals on the amp?

Its a 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, thanks again!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

I strongly suggest you do not cut into the car's wring at all.  Use a set of Metra 70-6502 and 71-6502 wiring harness adapters.  That way you can simply return the car to factory condition if you want to by unplugging the harnesses and the car remains intact. 

One of the above adapters will plug into your factory radio and the other into your car's wiring harness, leaving all the wires out for you to use.  Simply connect all the power, etc. wires together and you'll have the speaker wires in your hand.  Splice the LOC onto the speaker wires coming out of the radio, run RCAs to the amp, and connect the speaker outputs from the amp back to the factory wiring going to the speakers.  Set your amp gain, and you're done.  Best $30 you'll ever spend. 

I assume you have already replaced the factory speakers?  The OEM speakers will not handle your new amp.

Support the12volt.com
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I strongly suggest you do not cut into the car's wring at all.  Use a set of Metra 70-6502 and 71-6502 wiring harness adapters.  That way you can simply return the car to factory condition if you want to by unplugging the harnesses and the car remains intact. 

One of the above adapters will plug into your factory radio and the other into your car's wiring harness, leaving all the wires out for you to use.  Simply connect all the power, etc. wires together and you'll have the speaker wires in your hand.  Splice the LOC onto the speaker wires coming out of the radio, run RCAs to the amp, and connect the speaker outputs from the amp back to the factory wiring going to the speakers.  Set your amp gain, and you're done.  Best $30 you'll ever spend. 

I assume you have already replaced the factory speakers?  The OEM speakers will not handle your new amp.

Damn, wish I knew, I already cut the wires. Not that big of a problem though, Thanks again.

tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

ya when I did it today I cut my wires too, I made sure to solder everything though and use shrink wrap.

I am not sure if i'm misunderstanding what has already been said or not but it all seems right to me other then the wires.

Here's what I did for the speaker wire part

Cut the 8 speaker wires, I then put a 3 foot extension on each one because I couldnt put the LOC that close to my deck, not enough room. So on the side comming out of the adapter (deck) you put the extension there adn then splice it into the LOC, do that for all 8 wires, hook up the RCA's and then run that back to your amp.

Then Take the Front left + and connect it to the rear left + and take the front left - and connect it to the rear left -, do the same thing for the right side speakers. This connects your door speakers directly to your 6x9's. Unplug your 6x9s and plug that into the front speaker outputs for your amp, you may need to extend the wire length depending on where your amp is. Then run a new wire from your 6x9's to the rear outputs on the amp.

That is the easiest way to wire it up!

Appologies if thats what was already said I was just confused to it. hopefully I just didnt confuse you now lol

Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I did exactly what you mentioned, except I had a 4 channel amp with two low level converters, so I didn't need to splice two speakers together.

My only isssues are....

There seems to be some static when the speakers are powered up, not as noticible when you turn the volume up.

Also when I tunrn the radio on, the speakers made a loud high pitched pop noise.

And I don't know if I have to mess with the amps crossovers but when I adjust the settings at my radio to move the sound to only the left channel or right, or front to back, it seems to be messed up. And I am 99.9% sure I connected all the wires correctly.

Can anyone help me resolve these issues?

tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

if your balance and fade are not working then you've wired something up wrong.

the LOC I have uses 4 seperate channels as well, the reason why I spliced the wires together was because I didnt feel like running a speaker wire from the front of the car to the back for the front speakers. Since the rear speaker wires are already run to the back, I spliced the front and rear together and that gets the wires to the trunk, easier then running a new wire.

I have the same static issue as you do, it looks like its a grounding issue.

high pitched noise is because your amp must not have a soft on feature.

Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I will have to look at the wires again.

And I will check the ground out make sure it's really solid.

As for that high pitch noise, any ideas to a good fix?

Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
I will be upgrading to an aftermarket headunit and will run new wires (Streetwires Ultra Wires) to the speakers and use Streetwires Zero Noise2 patch cables so that should clean the sound up nice!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic