GM's R.A.P system and an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I just got done wiring up my amp to the factory deck with aftermarket speakers.

I have a question about the Remote Accessory power thingy though! I used the remote turn on wire for teh amp from the dark green wire in the ignition which works fine, except for when the R.A.P system is activated.

i.e car is turned off but drivers door has not been opened yet.

What happens is that the deck continues to play, BUT because the amp is connected to the dark green ignition wire it turns off and I cannot hear anything. So that's totally not cool.

Should I just leave it like this? I am guessing having the amp going without the car running will kill my battery lickidy split!

If it won't, then what wire do I use to get this to work? It's a 2004 Oldsmobile Alero

Stock Deck

Phoenix Gold Tantrum 5.25"

Boston Acoustics 6x9 FX
Power Acousticks LT720 (85x4 RMS)

no subs

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
You might try a low voltage turn on like the PIE 1vt. It uses the voltage going to your speakers to send a turn on lead to to the amp. So as long as your factory HU is on the amp will stay on .
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
arnt t hose really expensive though?
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
definately find another wire to tap into.  just use a volt meter and test out different wires for a + 12V .  turn the car on, and when u find a 12V source, turn the car off and see if it still has power, if not, use it.  I did an amp install on a 2004 sunfire with the stock deck and it turned out that there were 4 different wires that i could use.  I ended up having to use 2 of the wires, one for the amp and one for the crossover.  i had to check the wires with the deck in the stereo though cause it seems that everything (lights, buzzers, etc...) goes thtough it...when i had the harness out of the deck I only had a 1 constant 12V source.  I tapped into the 6x9's with female end RCA connectors..i cant remember which wire it was but i either used only the - wire or only the + wire on the RCA cable, cause hooking up both put the amp into protection mode (not sure why totally) but everything works now and my bud is extremely happy with the setup and all the guys at work are impressed too.  But remove the deck, turn the car on...check the wires, find your source and tap into it.  I had to use a seperate source for both the amp and x-over cause it was too much power being drawn from the one source and the computer shut it off or something, but it turned back on when i just disconnected the x-over, which is when i did the seperate wire...everything works great. 
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
If you consider 20 bucks expensive......
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

placid - I dont think you quite understand what i'm trying to do. I've found the wire that your describing, i'm trying to find the wire that retains power when the car is shut off, but only for 10 minutes or until the drivers side door is open.

$20 is expensive compared to the price of just tapping into another wire, if it's that simple.

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Oh..ok!  20 bucks isnt bad, saves a bit o hassle anyways.  the wires i tapped into stayed on for about 5-10 seconds after the car turned off, i'm sure one of the wires back there should do it as i didnt test all of them to see how long they stayed on, but maybe not.  funny thing is that one of the wires i tapped into (yellow on this car) was for the lights that turn on when the door opens, so when the door is open the x-over turns on.  I'll see if i can find a wire on my buds deck that stays on the way u want it...then i'll let u know, and u can see if its the same on your car (probly different color, but we'll see)  I should be able to let u know tomorrow afternoon if i find something.  I realize they are 2 totally different cars, but both being 2004, the deck probly has a similar setup.
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

THey use the same wiring kits so they are probably very similar.

I'm just not sure how the RAP works, I guess i'll have to test all the wires out and see what happens. But I am not certain if it just sends it a signal when to turn off or how it works :(

I know they have wiring kits now for aftermarket decks that retain the use of the R.A.P system so it must work.

otherwise when you turn the car off the cd keeps playin and you cannot here it until you open the doors. and the dingers for the lights are gone, so you should let your buddy know that.

tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

btw

I know 20 isnt that bad, but it's still a lot easier to just hook it up to another wire and go buy 20 bucks worth of beer :)

otherwise I am going to have to go in on Monday and order the part, wait for it to come in, pay 20 bucks for it, then I still gotta take everything apart to instal it. It would have to go right at the deck, I couldnt just put it on the rear 6x9 since the only time it gets a signal is when the amp is on.

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
tenny wrote:

THey use the same wiring kits so they are probably very similar.

I'm just not sure how the RAP works, I guess i'll have to test all the wires out and see what happens. But I am not certain if it just sends it a signal when to turn off or how it works :(

I know they have wiring kits now for aftermarket decks that retain the use of the R.A.P system so it must work.

otherwise when you turn the car off the cd keeps playin and you cannot here it until you open the doors. and the dingers for the lights are gone, so you should let your buddy know that.

BTW when the X-over turns on when the door opens, it also stays on when the car is turned on, not just when the doors are open...we made an 8hr round trip with the setup working fine the whole time. not sure how the car is wired up..all i know is that the amp install worked, lol.  *realize maybe its not connected to the door lights but to interior light...cause that turns on too with door openGM's R.A.P system and an amp -- posted image.

the remote wire (R.A.P) sends a power signal to the amp to complete a full circuit enabling the amp to turn on.  If theres more to it then maybe someone else will respond.

we never actually tried listening to it with the car off, but it just might actually work...i never thought about it, but if its connected to the interior lights (interior light turns on with door open too) then it should work cause while we were installing the system, we had the car off with the interior light on, which would shut off after 10 min or so...I'll check it out and let u know...maybe u can buy your beer after all.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic