icon

GM's R.A.P system and an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tenny 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2005 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

RAP has nothing to do with the remote turn on wire.

it is a system in GM cars that allows you to retain accessory power even wtih teh car shut off and the key in the OFF position.

i.e you stop at a store and turn the car off, the radio will keep playing, passenger gets out and goes in the store, radio still plays.

it will contuine to play until the drivers side door is opened or 10 minutes has passed.

with all speakers running off the amp, i've lost the RAP function since the amp is run off the ignition wire.

NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Have you looked for a RAP relay in the fuse box? I've been lucky to find such a thing in Olds and Buicks. I've never had to find one in a truck though. On the factory GM radios 00 and up (I think) There is a wire that can be used as an amp turn on. The problem is that it doesn't exist in all harnesses but does exist in all radios. You need to cannibalize a harness to get the pin to put into the factory harness to use it. It is easy to find close to the orange power lead. Use your computer safe test light to test for it or a meter.   
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
oh..OK..lol, sounded similar so i wasnt sure.  well i listened to the stereo last night with the car off, and the sub stayed on with the music, so its fine to tap into the wires in the back.  check the dark blue wire, that one is the better of the two that i used (yellow and dark blue...but the wires in the back of the deck will stay on with the RAP and nothing is negativly effected.  right now we're trying to cover the box in fleece.  I'll take some pics of the setup and the wiring.
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

ok thanks

I checked with a volt meter today and couldnt find a good source for the remote wire, so I think my car must be wired differently

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

actually, i never used a volt meter...i assumed they were putting out 12 volts, probly arent.  I used an automotive lightbulb to test the sunfire as i couldnt find the voltmeter at the time...the bulb didnt glow as bright as if it was connected to a direct 12V source (meaning i never really thought about it not being 12V)  but it served its purpose...check it with a bulb if u have one.  I got some pics taken but They're on my buds computer so i gotta get em from him still.  The only wires i can remember are a couple on the bottom row....starting from the drivers side there is  black, Dark blue, light blue....other wires....and orange on the far passenger side which is constant power.  and i believe the second wire on the top from the drivers side is the yellow wire.  I'll try to get the pics as soon as i can. but try the light bulb.

jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
The RAP relay is done digitally, there is no wire that you can tap into to keep the RAP relay, with out using an interface.SoundGate makes a peice called the GMACC. You tap into the Class 2 wire(which controls the RAP relay), it then gives you a 12 volt ignition that come on and off with the RAP system, i think it retails for about 30 bucks. This is exaclty what you need to do what you want.
Jazzy
tenny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Jazzy! I just spent about 2 hours going over the car becuase it was tickin me off trying to find a wire. I thought the antenna is in the window and has some box that improves reception, that must have power, take the rear deck off, test it, NOPE nothing there.

looks like i'm going to have to buy one of those boxes that you mentioned or the one that checks speaker levels and converts to a remote turn on.

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
i dont get it then...what does the sunfire have if its not a RAP?  the car stays on with the key out for like 10 min or so or untill u open the door...does the sunfire have a non digital RAP?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic