icon

2005 Mustang Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hi :) I am working on my new system for my new mustang.

Install has not begun yet, but I do already have a set of JBL Power series speakers for the front doors and Infinity Reference for the back deck. JBL for the great mids and highs they offer.

Components and drilling in the doors was not an option :)

The rear speakers are really as far back as they can get in the car so they will only be used to fill and round out the sound. Expecting nice smooth mids from the Infinity Reference. Very odd location.

AMPs will likely be JBL or higher quality. Not buying all at once, just as money comes avaliable, but install will take place all at one time.

Head unit either a high level Pioneer or Alpine or Eclipse if I can find an authorized on line dealer.

Now here is the ?

The doors have a 8 in "subwoofer" in addition to the 5 x 7 speaker.
What about putting 8 in mid bass drivers in those openings? Any comments?
I think this will sound nice. Any brands? I am wanting quality at a resonable price.
Will likely finish with a nice quality 10 in sub in the trunk.

I am wanting quality not loudness.

Just FYI: My Saturn is running Infinity Kappas 3 ways off a JBL Power series amp up front and JBL GTO 3 ways in the back off a Kenwood AMP. All on a Pioneer 6700MP head unit. Sounds great as far as I am concerend :) All is cleanly and properly installed.

Thank you for all the help!! :) Take care

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Interesting. I would put the 8" midbass in the door ... IF I could do it right.
How to do it right?
1) Ditch the 5x7's. Get an adapter and put some 5.25" round components in there (or put components in the kick panel).
2) Regardless of the speaker you put in the 5x7 location, you need to seal the back of this speaker off from the air the 8" will push. A foam gasket will work fine for this.
3) For real midbass drivers to "work" you need to make sure the installation location is solid and well sealed around the 8". (Basically you need to make sure your door isn't going to hum / vibrate like crazy and color the sound). Expect to spend time / energy / money making this true.
4) A deck or external crossover capable of running a bandpass filter on the 8". (i.e. both high pass and low pass crossovers on the channel the 8" will be riding on). If you want to keep your ability to fade this means investing in something like an Audiocontrol.com crossover.
Ditch looking for an authorized Eclipse dealer online. There aren't any. BUT it is WELL WORTH IT to seek out a brick and mortor Eclipse dealer. They are, in my opinion, superior to similarly priced Pioneer and Alpine decks.
For the 8" I would look at Adire, MB Quart, and Image Dynamics.
In other words, if you want SQ, implementing a midbass well isn't going to be cheap, but it will be worth it.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

I would completely can the 5x7s in the front doors...Memphis Car Audio has an 8" Component set with crossover included... I have put them into the Dodge rams with the premium system that has the 8s in the doors they sounded amazing. But I would just seal off the hole where the 5x7 is or just leave it there and unplug it..

I am not at work so I cant give you a price on this set but HERE is a link so that you can check them out.

Hope this helps...Good luck

2005 Mustang Stereo -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.

I under stand what you are saying, but here is the problem:

The 5 x 7 openings are up near chest height when you sit in the car.

The 8 in opening is down on the floor by your feet. Also has a very odd "grill"

Would this pose a problem with the 8 in being on the floor basically?

I do like the Memphis Audio idea if the soundstage / imaging would sound correct due to the speaker locations....IF I can get the tweeters in the door seperate, where should they be placed?

As for seperate tweeter.....................the whole drilling in the doors of a new Mustang worried me....and no, there are no installers around here that I actually trust. My work looks better than most of the so called pro stuff.

Could a good auto body / repair place do the openings?

As for quality and clarity - speaking of the 5 x 7 openings. 5 1/4 better than the 5 x 7s?

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Picture of the door

www.computerservices.bz/car/car.htm

There are no Memphis dealers around me :(

Assuming some of the forum members actually sells it ?

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

First, great looking ride.  Second, that's a great location for the 8."

If you have the money I would do what I put in my first post.  Just use the 8" as a midbass driver, but put something other than some 5x7" coax in as the midrange / tweeter.

You can get 5x7 to 5.25" adapters.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

By the way, the 8 in openings are 3.5 inches deep.

So here is what I am gathering:

Option #1)

8 in midbass with 5.25 speakers (components if I can bring myself to it) in each door.
How "hard" would those hit in the door? Do they actually hit like a sub or are they more like a speaker?
Or just sorta in between?
Amp setup on the midbass? Full range or mono amp?
Why exactly  an external crossover? I understand what they are, but I have no experience with midbass speakers.

Option #2)

The 8 in Memphis components. If the openings in the car are not too low this may be a great cost effective option.

kfr01 
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the concept for a properly implemented separate midbass driver.

You only want one set of drivers playing any frequency range.  The external crossover allows this.

An example is:

up to 80hz   ---- Subwoofer

80-250hz ----- Midbass
250hz+  ------  Components

See how you need BOTH a low pass crossover AND a high pass crossover on the Midbass drivers?

An external active crossover is a device you would plug your RCAs into before your amplifiers.  It would split the frequencies up as you select. 

You want a stereo full range amplifier for midbass drivers.

Given my above frequency split they will play between the sub bass range and the component range.

You are correct:   Option #1 is the expensive, but more complete option.  You'll need more drivers, more amplifiers, and some sort of external crossover.  Option #2 is the cost-effective option.  The 8" drivers aren't too low, but they are off-axis and generally larger drivers aren't quite as behaved off-axis. 

(I'd save up for Option 1, if I were you).  You can always go in steps, put some nice components in the 5x7" slot now, implement the midbass driver later when you have money. 

Memphis also makes very good 5.25" components.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

I will sit down later and figure up prices on these :)

Know any where I can buy Memphis?

I am sorry but I have to ask: What do you mean by off axis?

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Since there are few online resellers for these items

Would some one care to give me a price on a set of the 8 in mid bass?

Whatever brands avaliable within a responable expense.

I saw the Adires for 80, that seems extremely resonable, but they are deeper than the openings can handle.
I found Image Dynamics for $80 (each) as well locally.

---

Also a price on the Memphis 8 in components.
ThanksSteven
I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out :)

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic