the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2005 Mustang Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

option 3 - why put in a 5.25" speaker when a oversize 6.5" will fit just fine? (make a baffle board) Before you continue on the wanton path of purchasing, consider this. A separate 8" is going to need a dedicated amplifier and also a bandpass crossover. Next you need to find out if the 8" in the door is in the same air cavity as the 5x7", if it is then you need to get them isolated. If you had not anticipated this, have a look at the MB Quart speakers and consider the RCE216 components and the RCE164 add a woofer system. This all works off of the same 2 channels of amplification, doubles up on the midbass driver, allows the tweeter to mount in a pointsource configuration (thus solving the mounting issue) and of course provides great sound.

Next, head to a local authorized dealer and purchase a Eclipse cd player, best move that you can make.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

How do you all feel about Memphis' coaxials?

I am really hung up on drilling for the tweeters with the components. I know it may be a little silly, but it is just something I would rather not do.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=17

5 x 7 Coaxials
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=20
5.25 convertable coaxials (better quality than the above if I mount the tweeter in the speaker itself?)

or

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=8

Any chance these would fit in the mustang? I like the mounting plate idea :)

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, they more than likely would fit but as I pointed out above, why put a 5.25" speaker in when a oversize 6.5" will fit. Go to this site www.mbquart.com and look at the speakers that I am recommending. IMO they will leave the Memphis in the dust. Memphis is a good speaker line don't get me wrong, but just not in the same league as the speakers I am recommending. Again it also solves the tweeter issue.
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

They are indeed in the same air space as far as I know, but I have yet to see the door panel off of one. Raining the next few days here so I cant get mine off either right now. Doubt if ford would have seperated it or at least seperated it well.

Cost wise I am thinking the 8 in mid bass will get a little too up there. Still have to make car payments :)

As far as the 6.5 goes..the opening in the door panel (interior) itself is very small. A 6.5 will have part of the speaker blocked. I know I could get the 6.5 mounted, but a part of the speaker would be blocked by the door panel.

I do like the MB quart suggestion. That would fill both speaker locations. But what about a paper woofer on the MB Quarts......I am not an expert by far, but I thought paper was basically the last thing you want?

What about this !!!!!!! :) !!!!!!!
The Memphis 8 in in the large openings and then a pair of the Memphis Coaxials or the Memphis convertable speakers in the other openings. Ball park cost on those? If this sounds like an okay idea I think it may be the way to go. I am not  a huge bass fan so this may be perfect :)
Memphis sell the 8 in just as a woofer without the tweeter assembly?

forbidden 
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Looks at wall of MB Quart....nope, not one paper cone in sight, they are all Poly dude. Nothing wrong with paper either. Yes it does not take moisture well, but it is a very good product when it comes to sound. There is also not much inherantly wrong with blocking some of the woofer as well. The main upper frequencies will still pass straight through the grill. In actual listening tests, 9 out of 10 users preferred Coke over Pepsi....oops... most people who have had the same thoughts about this I could demonstrate to them fairly easy and 9 out of 10 went with the larger speakers to improve midbass response. As $ are always important, you can always add the add a woofer option into the system at a later date.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I'm a big fan of the Mb Quart coax/components, especially if you're not into drilling a hole.  That's one big reason I currently use the PCE's. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry about the paper thing. I completely misread the website.

Here is where I am at right now

Crutchfield prices and specs

MB Quart Option:

Cant find price on the RCE164

is it okay for two speakers to over lap each other a little bit on the frequencys?

8 in openings

MB Quart PCE164 6.75in $219.99

Response 38-280 Hz

5 x 7 openings

MB Quart Reference RCE216 (6.75) $279.99

Not sure about fit…….but the 5.25 will anyway J

Response 38-32000hz

Memphis Option:

I have heard Memphis before and I do like them…

I also like the 8 in speaker they have.

Could two speakers be run in each door like the MB Quart configuration?

Price on Memphis vs MB Quart?

That I am wanting to buy something bug has bitten me :)

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT POST!! Sorry about that!

So it is okay to have two MB Quart speakers in the door?  I like that idea. Crutchfield is selling the PCE 164 for $216

okay to have the frequencies overlap a little bit?

I still like the 8 in Memphis solution. Could two speakers be done with that or not?

Price of Memphis vs MB Quart?

The wanting to buy something bug has bitten :)

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

I would not run two speakers producing the same frequencies.  The resulting interference patterns will make your system not sound good.

However, you could still buy a real midbass driver and put -it- in the 8" slot. 

Remember, this means another crossover and amplifier channel.

Quart PCE is a tad more expensive than the Memphis.  RCE and Memphis are about the same.

Quart PCE = ~$450+ retail

Quart RCE = ~$250+ retail

The Quart PWE 164 is only a midbass driver. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

So the answer is no on two Memphis speakers in one door and I do understanf why.

I know everyone has differing opinions, but would the Quart components with the Quart PWE 164 work?

Crutchfield has the PWE 164 for $216.00 for the pair.

RCE213 for $279.99

RCE216 for $299.00

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic