icon

2005 Mustang Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

From what I gathered from MBQuart's website. The components basically pass through the PWE 164's crossover, so only one speaker would be playing any one frequency.

From what I am reading, this should work. The crossover handles the frequency split?

RCE213

52-32000hz

PCE164

38-280hz

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

What about the harshness on the high end that I am reading about on various sites on the web?

Do they just have to be properly setup or is that a downside to the quart?
\

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

If the Quart midbass contains a separate crossover, then yes - that would be perfect - you wouldn't need an electronic crossover or another amplifier.

You really need to listen to them.  One man's harshness is another man's clean and crisp. 

I would not describe the Quarts as outright "harsh."  I would say, on a sliding scale they are MORE harsh than some very fine textile dome tweeters.  However, some number of people would describe those soft dome tweeters as "too soft."

It also depends on the music you like.  If you like rap or rock Quart is great.  If you like Jazz / Classical Quart gets a bit bright. 

I wouldn't let some people's reviews on the internet turn you away.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

So if the qaulity is what I want, I will go with the quarts :)

I listen to a lot of milder rock (Dave Matthews Band, Cold Play, U2 etc..)
A good head unit should be able to smooth the tweeters out some?

I am going to go ahead and buy the Quarts and give them a shot. Crutchfield has the best prices I have found and they are an authorized dealer with a no questins asked return policy so if they are too harsh I can send them back :)

No place within 100 miles sells Quart so no real way to hear them, but I will hook them into my JBL amp just to test them out a little bit. If I dont like them, I will send them back.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the speaker selection! I learned some and I think I have made a good decision.

As for head units, wanted Eclispe, but I want XM. I already have the Pioneer XM equipment I am going to pull out of my Saturn so I think I am going to just go with a nice Pioneer unit.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
..and I can't spell today :)
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Rear speakers:

The location of the openings is horrible.

They are as far back as they possibly could be.
Would this be a good location to cut cost some and go with a cheaper speaker?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
Yes and no. I happen to like rear fill but I also like to match for tone and timbre. Meaning try and keep the brands matched closely for performance charachteristics. I would use a DKE116 or even a DKE168 for the rear fill. Up front, keep the speakers in the same line. The premium add a woofer to the premium components and the reference add a woofer with the reference components. Do not use the 5.25" components with the 6.5" woofer. Use the larger PCE216 components with the PCE164 add a woofer for the best results. If it means cost cutting right now, eliminate the rear speakers altogether and concentrate on the front end, you can always drop something in the back later on.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with forbidden.  If cutting the rears means making your front stage awesome - do it.

I personally do not like rear fill.  If you do use rear fill take forbidden's advice there again - use the DKE line to match tone but keep the cost low.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

No offense to anyone, but I just took a old 6.5 inch speaker out ot my car, did some looking and there is no way it will fit without what I consider heavy modification to the metal in the door itself. I am not willing to do that.

Then in order to actually fit it in, a fair portion of the speaker will be blocked by the dash.

There is approx a $200 difference between the reference line and the premium line.

I do understand the premium line is better, but would it be horrible if I would get the reference components? From the website, there does not look to be that big of difference.

$200 is $200 especially considering I still need an AMP :)

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone want to talk amps?
Adding the RMS up between both the components and the midbass it would be around 230rms.
Since two speakers are run off the same channel, that is down to two ohm right?
Amp should put out close to or just slightly above 230 at 2 ohm right?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic