the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2005 Mustang Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

If you can't justify the spread between the Reference and Premium, then save your money. Just make sure you match correctly for the speakers. A amp that is rated at 50w rms x 4 is probably going to be more than enough for output in your vehicle unless you have a monster sub system going into the vehicle, then more power would be nice. You can underpower a speaker all day long, just don't set the gain on the amp too high which will throw a distorted signal into the speaker.

As far as the top end response goes, the Quart crossovers also have a adjustable attenuation circuit for the tweeters, if you find them too bright, move the jumper on the crossover to drop them down a notch or two.

I like the Eclipse amplifiers, the PA5422 is a huge amp for this vehicle and the EA3422 would more than likely easily do the job for you. Audison also makes one stellar small chassis amplifier.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. Seriously, I cant justify the difference. I went ahead and ordered the reference components and the reference midbass. I look at it like, $200 difference between fantastic and unbelievable :) Heck, I am extremely pleased with my Infinity Kappas in my Saturn :)

I read about the jumpers and how to turn down the tweeters

Price is not bad at all on that EA3422 amp, but trying to find an authorized Eclipse dealer is.
I live in KY and frankly, I would have more selection of high end stuff if I was in the middle of a desert.
Best Buy is considered hi end around here......

Should I look for an amp designed especially for 2 ohm loads or will any good quality AMP work?

I would be content to get a 2 channel amp for the front and later on perhaps add the rear speakers and an amp for them.

Who do you all rank as building quality AMPS?

I am basically limited to on line retailers such as Crutchfield and CarDomain.com or any other reputable dealers you can recommend.
$250 or less would be a great price point

By the way, I am not a huge bass fan, just want it for the quality, so sub setup will likely be a single 10 or 12 in with perhaps an 8 to improve quality a bit. That can wait for the time being. Right now, I would just like to get the front speakers taken care of. The factory system is hardly being used........I cant stand how flat and muddy it is.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Pretty much all 4 channel amplifiers are going to be 2 ohm stereo stable so not much of a worry. Eclipse has a 100% no online retailers policy, thus they are hard to find. I do know of a authorized dealer in the US that will be happy to ship an amp to you. I would give the PA5422 a very serious consideration as well. PM me your e-mail address with your name and address, blood type, next of kin and shoe size for me to forward to my friends shop down in the US. I'll have him respond direct to you via e-mail and then the two of you can work this out yourselves.

As far as the sub goes, a 10" or a 12" but not one of those + an 8", bad idea.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

I am learning a lot :) Thanks again to everyone!

I have never had any dealings with Eclispe at all, but have heard time and time again they are great.
prices are extremely good compared to lower powered amps by other brands....Assuming they are not selling their brand name as much as the others? Not as flashy either.
Either one of these Eclispe be perfect for the system or should I consider other alternatives?
Also, what does it mean by 4/3/2 channel?
These (this) one amp run more than just the front speakers?

It would be fantastic to run a sub off the same amp as the speakers if that is possible.

And if so.....can you all tell me how to properly wire it in?
Assuming the AMP has multiple RCA inputs?

forbidden 
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
4/3/2 means that the amp can be configured in differing fashions. In 4 channel mode it will run the front and rear speakers or maybe the front and a pair of basic subs. In 3 channel mode it is configured to run one pair of speakers and a good sub (2 channels are now combined into one big channel with more output). In 2 channel mode (each "half" of the amp has been combined into one big channel) a pair of good sized subs or a really powerful output to front speakers. There are many ways to configure an amp like this. If you are considering a good overall system that is ultimately going to have front and rear speakers + a moderate sub system, consider the 5 channel amp, the PA5532. All 4/3/2 or 5 channel amplifiers have multiple rca inputs.
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

Great!! Then the PA5532 may be the perfect solution.

The front MB Quarts and

a single 10 or 12 in sub (we will get into this later, perhaps in another thread :) )
(NOTE: I have to have some trunk space.)
off of a single amp would be very nice.
Later on I may add the rear speakers, and apparently this would be no problem for the AMP.

Right now, if I only hook up the front speakers (sub later) this amp would not be too powerful would it?

forbidden 
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

This indeed would be no problem for this amp. A great single 10" sub for you in this case needs to be a dvc 4 ohm sub. A dvc sub has 2 sets of input terminals on it. This then gets wired in parallel to create a 2 ohm load which in this case derives maximum power out of the amplifiers sub channel. Here is how it is wired.

1 DVC driver with Voice Coils in Parallel

Connecting the two voice coils of the driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms
2005 Mustang Stereo - Page 4 -- posted image.

A great sub for this that I found by total accident is the MB Quart RWE254. With a little experimenting and a crapload of luck we made a a.25 cu.ft slot port enclosure that not only sounds amazing, plays stinking loud if necessary. It is a fairly plain looking sub, but the results are astounding.
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

pictures are great things!! :)

Thanks

What other companies would you recommend for subs or are the MB Quart subs just flat out good?

What about the box itself? I can not easily fabricate it myself. Any of the prebuilt boxes on the market any good?

oatmeal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2005 mustang as well, and I have been spending ALOT of time trying to figure out what will work best. I was thinking about putting in an 8" midbass, but the fact that it would have to be driven seperately from my fronts kinda put me off.

So I decided to go with a 3-way component setup! I found a nicely priced Alphsonik setup, the PCT6551 that has a 6.5" midbass, 5.25" midrange, and a tweeter that sells online for $200. I just got the set in the mail the other day and the woven glass cone is just amazing looking. I also got a 5 channel amp, some rear speakers (i know i know) and a 10" sub that I am going to put in a sealed enclosure.

Good luck with your setup!

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Glad you chimed in!! If you run into anything (mounting the 6.5s or something) let me know and we may be able to work out something. 

For me and the 8 in mids it was a matter of sealing the door and all that jazz more than anything. Not to mention a much higher cost.

I am someday going to get the rear speakers too. Just waiting for money.

Which head unit did you go with ? I am leaning toward the Pioneer DEH-P80MP.
Was going to be eclipse but my Saturn already has a complete Pioneer XM hookup and I am just going to move that.

NOTE: Is it just me or is the factory system worse than most? My girlfriends 01 Saturn came with better speakers than this Mustang.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic