icon

2005 Mustang Stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oatmeal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
The factory system isn't that bad, but I think it depends on the type of music you listen to. I am going to install a kenwood deck w/ sirius that I got free from my dad. When I get enough money I am going to upgrade to a kenwood 7015. It's a double-din full LCD screen.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

My .02 for what it's worth, leave the Pioneer right where it is and go with an Eclipse. Actually to be a real believer, hook up the Eclipse in the vehicle where the Pioneer is right now.

Another great sub is the Eclipse aluminum series (use them myself) and of all things that I can't believe I am recommending, the Lightning Audio Strike series. Even though you might not be a box builder it is fairly simple to do or to have someone custom build a box for you and ship it to you is definitely worth the effort. Good sub bass response is more about the box than it is the sub. Get the box built, second best move you can make, the first being another shameless plug for an Eclipse cd player. 2005 Mustang Stereo - Page 5 -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven6095 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Gottcha on the box. I can likely get one built easily.

Here is my issue with the head units. I want XM for their baseball coverage............

I know I could go the whole external route with the external receiver for the XM with the aux ports on the head unit, but that seems a little much (trouble, bulk and expense)

Unless there is something I dont know, in order to keep the XM.....It is basically down to Pioneer or Alpine.

Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine be a good compromise? Maybe not as good as the Eclispe but better than the Pioneer?
Everything I have ever read says Alpine and Pioneer are neck and neck.
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Two things:

First of all, I have found out that the "subs" in the doors with the factory system are in their own ported enclosure. Will that help or hurt the 6.75 in mid bass drivers?

#2)

Enclosure built for the 05 Mustang

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QavV5eQFiXA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182750&I=142FDMUS5U

I have seen a picture and it fits very neatly in trunk which is a positive. I need as much trunk as I can get but will not give up much quality for it.

It is moulded out of polymers according to the company that makes it...

Now....I have a feeling I already know the answer to this.......but if I can get the cu.ft #s and could get a sub to match that, would this be a good option or not?

Difference between a 12 and a 10 inch sub? 12 plays a little deeper right?

oatmeal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
The door is actually a sealed enclosure, not a ported. The designer of the door actually won an award for it:
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA481091.html
There is a picture at that link as well. Basically, anything aftermarket is going to have more excursion, so I don't think it will be a big deal putting in a midbass. They are designed to have air behind them anyway... just think of your trunklid mounted speakers - all that air! Regarding the Scosche, I would imagine that would be the best fit in the trunk, but you still have the amp to consider and where to put it. I am kinda stuck right now trying to think of how to custom make a "cabinet" that will house my sub, amp, and crossovers. I have really nice looking stuff (alphasonik) and I want people to see it, but I still want to use my trunk if I want to. Checkout this thread for some pics of a custom install:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=18899
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the picture!!! That clears a lot up! The sub is actually in the door panel itself..

Not too concered about mounting the amp. Likely will make a little sloped stand for it to fit in the corner of the trunk somewhere.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

So ... for the 8" or any speaker going where the 8" hole is, it will be important to determine the air space back there and purchase a driver that will work well in that space.

Many aftermarket speakers are designed to be infinite baffle - NOT small sealed.  You'll severely color the midbass sound if you don't buy an appropriate driver for the airspace.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven6095 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

.........................I am starting to really dislike all the monkey wrenches being thrown in.. ;) LOL

Anyway around this?......
Regardless....looks like these are going to be interesting to mount....
Website says 12 liter of space.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  So you need to find a driver that will perform well in 12 liters of space.  This is ~0.43ft^3. 

I'm impressed with ford engineering.  That's actually quite a bit of space for a sealed midbass enclosure.  In your search for an 8" look for a recommended enclosure size range that includes 0.43ft^3.

With that much space you have to worry much less about space if you put a 6.5" driver in.

I wish I had that kind of sealed space in-door.  :)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic