icon

Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

I have a set of 5 1/4 Infinity Kappa Perfect components. In this set they used Aluminum dome tweeters. They seem a little unatrual. Dont get me wrong it sounds great but in some sense it just doesnt sound quite right. I was wondering a couple of things. I was considering replacing the tweeters. Would that screw up the components crossover system? I have a home audio that has titanium tweeters and MB Quart makes titanium tweeters and was thinking about possibly purchaseing them. Also the Silk Dome tweeters i cant say I've had any experience with. Another consideration was possibly swapping my infinity system for Polk MOMO's that have a silk dome tweeter, with a lower frequency rating. Any inputs?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

Question:  where are your tweeters installed?  Relative to your midrange drivers?  I think in many cases this sort of thing is related to installation location.

Isn't there a setting on that crossover that does some EQ?  What is it again?  Do you have your manual?  I seem to remember helping a friend with this same issue.

You should NOT use crossovers with incorrect tweeters.  It may "work," but it will not sound right.

If you are serious about buying new components you should listen to the ones you are considering before buying, if at all possible.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Have you listened to the Polk's??
And I wouldn't replace specific parts of the comp set as the crossover is designed for a specific speaker.
Paul
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Topic: Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc

I like the Tit tweeters.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Topic: Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc

I like the Tit tweeters.

Except when it's cold, then the cones become rigid and stick out through the grill.

Support the12volt.com
phuzun 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Get ribbon tweeters.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
hahahahaha. Nice tweeters baby, a little cold outside is it?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
people say that silk tweeters are warmer and produce a more natural sound, other suggest that the metal or and hard tweeter will better replicate cymbals and any upper freq range sounds better. IMO I prefer silk tweeters as I feel like they cause less ear fatigue and have never really seen them as lacking anything. I am currently running the Polk Momo set and am very pleased with them, i had a quart reference serise set before and left them cos the tweeters were too harsh for my taste, and the q series was out of my price rangeTweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc -- posted image. defiantley audition any tweeter first and I would advise against mixing in with the currect infinity xover. what kind of music do you listen to most?
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of effect does it have when the tweeters are placed further away from the midrange, like on the a-pillars or such?
6th gen Celica | Alpine CDA-9827 | Pioneer GMX962 | CDT CL components | JBL 600.1 | Infinity Reference 12
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so first off my tweeters are in the doors up high. I didnt play around with the crossovers because i have a pretty sufficient head unit with a nice eq, 13 bands. the holes are already drilled out so their is no moving the tweeters. The model is Infinity 5.1 Kappa Perfect. I have not listened to the Polk components I dont know where to find a place that has the momo's on display with a good amp to it. Any suggestions on where to go to hear that? What are ribbon tweeters? I would agree that the symbols sound very realistic, but their is one frequency that runs right through you. And I'm not neccesarily impressed with the performance overall of the tweeter.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic