the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Sure... next time yer in Bakersfield, look me up!
Bring your shopping list! I got Sodium metal, Teflon blocks, Kevlar floss, High Voltage energy discharge caps... whatchya lookin' fer?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

To use Steven's good technical explanation to make a point:

1)  Problems from distance and axis related installation problems can affect even very expensive speakers;

2)  EQing later is not a good / perfect band-aid.

Thus, get your installation right the first time.

Very good additions.  I agree that it is better to do it right the first time.

One way around this too is to use super steep and super precise slopes on the speakers, greatly reducing the overlap.  However those types of crossovers are very rare.  Plus it doesn't completely eliminate lobing.  The only way to do that is with a coincident speaker design.  

Although I'm planning on doing it with my car as my digital crossover has 72 dB per octave slopes.  Lobing shouldn't be a problem. Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
next time yer in Bakersfield, look me up!....whatchya lookin' fer?

Got any old Buck Owens and the Buckaroos albums out there?

97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

one other thing to note, you will gain some imaging cues from havine your tweeters up high, as in sail panels, a pillars, dash, but the issues of lobing and phase seem to be harder to correct than simple imaging issues.

You seem commited to your current tweet location, I'd recommend that you at least think about moving them. i have my tweets in my a pillars and it took me nearly ten hours of trial and error to get then aimed phased and attenuated correctly and the passenger seat (ie shotgun) is always complaning about the tweets being too harsh, next time I'll go with kicks. btw I share a great line from somebody on this forum, "Whne you start paying for my audio equipment, I'll  start tuning it to your seat too"

PS

haemphyst is your sig quote original? I heard almost the same line is a song and was wondering if that was where it was from. I copied your name and now everything is in bold, damn, I don't mean to yell

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
First off, I HATE Buck Owens, so no, I have no Buck Owns records... Try eBay. (He has bought everything in this town and it's all now named after him, and his damn "Crystal Palace")
Secondly, I don't know where it came from... I heard it from a buddy of mine (an ex-military man, BTW, myself too, so I know whereof I speak) and I liked it... Seems to put a good spin on my feelings about the Homeland "Security" laws... My security is (or should be) in my OWN hands!
(And this is NOT meant to bring up ANY kind of political or philosophical debate or conversation/discussion/argument. It's just the way I feel...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, ditto...
I'm shure plasma tweeters would work well in a car :)
I may try to build some at some point, mainly to show them off...
Thanks for updating me on the folded ribbon vs. ribbon thing!! I know that folded ribbon tweeters are awsome, I heard some studio monitors with folded ribbons, and they were probally the best tweeters I've ever heard. As for the rest of the speaker, the mids were good, but the bass was poor (only like a 6" driver). Think they were A.R.T. speakers...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

"Those who are willing to sacrifice their basic liberties to assure their security deserve neither."

A phrase coined by that radical liberal Benjamin Franklin.  A wise statement indeed.  And next time I'm down through Bakersfield I'll drop you a line!

Support the12volt.com
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Alright well it seems as though I should stray away from the polks. I'm going to go listen to Bostons today I'll tell my opinon when i get back. I saw my friends perfect svc sub go up in smoke the other day lmfao, i have dvc perfect with m3d material. just something i thought of. Any other suggestions on some reasonabley priced Components around the BA range.
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well was able to listen to the MB Quart premium BA pro 60 and Polk momo and i would say that i like the BA the best but i dont believe I'm going to swap them out, I'm going to go into the crossover, and bring the tweeter down a couple of decibals see what happens. Next car it looks like BA speakers with JL amp sounds right Tweeter Material, Silk, Alum, Tit, etc - Page 3 -- posted image.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic