icon

12 subs for my KX400.1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MoneyPit 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Looking for a pair of affordable 12" subs to handle 200W RMS each at 2 ohms for my KX400.1 sub amp I just ordered.

From researching, I found these as the likely candidates.

Kicker Comp VR 05C124 (150 RMS) $90

Rockford P1 (150 RMS) $46 at Ikesound

P2 (200 RMS) $130

Infinity Reference 1230W (300 RMS) $70

Leaning towards the P1 for the shear price factor but am willing to go as much as the $130 (would have to buy one at a time though). I know the 200 RMS is perfect but I used to always have more power than needed in the past with no problems with it tuned right.

Given the choices, which would you choose?

Bill
System in progress:
2 Kicker KX400.1's - 945w RMS
2 12" P3's in a ported box built by local shop
1 Kicker KX250.2 to drive the mids and highs
1 set Alpine SPR-136A for mids & highs
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
If you like Infinity, the Kappa Perfects can be had for $115. Best option, use http://www.froogle.com to find the lowest price, then get sounddomain.com to price match for you. That way you get a warranty too!
Those subs will take 200W RMS with no problems whatsoever. Also, read some of the reviews of them, there are very few poor reviews.
-Drew
MoneyPit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

The thing is, I've never used Infinity before. The only subs I have used were Pyle Drivers back in the late 80's early 90's. Yes, Pyle USED to be good back then, not sure about today though.

Anyone with experience with the P1's or the Comp VR's?

Bill
System in progress:
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
i am little skeptical of the build quality on the fosgates, I "hear" (so more than a couple times) that the cones seperate from the surround, but that's just what I hear no personal experience.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
If I went with Fosgate, I would definitely go with the P2. P1's haven't impressed me at all, and I think what dwarren is talking about is the P3's. I've read many reviews about the P3's cones seperating.
If it was me, I think I'd go with the P2s, or find a good deal on an Infinity Kappa Perfect.
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

i work at a kicker dealer and i would highly reccomend the comp vr. your first comment was mistaken, the comp is $90 @ 150 watts. the vr is $149 and will do 600 watts. we've done several systems with 2 12" VR's and the              KX 400.1.  very loud.  if you can't afford the VR's go with the comps, but the VR's will play great off of the 400.1. if you want i will gice you dimensions for an excellent ported box for that set up.

i have also personally heard the comps and VR's  out preform the rockford subs and kappas.

i hope you strongly consider my advice...it seems that for some reason no one listens to me, although i am a professional installer and i do have experience with all of these products. i can garuentee that even the Comp sub will out preform anything rockford makes for under $250, or even infinity for that matter. i just wan to see people be happy with their stereo, but still my advice i give on this site, which is the same advice people pay me for on a daily basis, goes overlooked.

MoneyPit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info....I haven't heard about the cones seperating on the RF's.  That's my main concern.....durability.              

Soundmasta, your right. I had VR's on the brain. I think I'll give the Comps a shot, If they don't last I'll go with the VR's.

For what it's worth, no advice gets ignored.

Thanks again for the advice!

Bill
System in progress:
mbemount 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

I'd go with the Comp VR's.  I sell em' daily and their a real nice sub.  The old fosgates are nice but their new stuff hasn't performed like it should.  If you live by a circuit city go there let them demo em' out for you and see how you like the Comp Vr's.  They have preloaded enclosures with 2 of them, ported.

MoneyPit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

The problem is my location......nothing like Circuit City withing a couple hundred miles. So I'll trust you guys since this is my only outsource.

So I should skip the Comps all together (are they junk?) and go ahead and get the VR's? ....Is this unanimous guys?

Agian, Thanks for the help!

Bill
System in progress:
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 4:11 AM / IP Logged  
If I was going with Kicker, I would definitely step up to the Comp VRs.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic