icon

Alarm installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
Was just out in the workshop looking at an alarm installation guy that we get in from time to time. He was just stripping back the insulate and wrapping the wire around.
usually when i'm doing any alarm installation or any tapping into wires i seperate the strands to put an eye in the cable and put the wire through then wrap it around. i admit i don't always solder the connection.
Just wondering do many of you do it like he was doing
Autoobsession 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
the correct way to do it is to solder the connection. The other way is to separate the strands like you were talking about.
moshpitmickey 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked for a car audio dealer for several years and was taught to always solder any connections. I also separate the strands and put the wire through and twist it around. You don't always have to do this but the solder is a must.
moshpitmickey
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  

I always separate wires to create an eye (as you describe it if I'm NOT soldering).  Then I'll tape the connection and place a small lock tie on the tape tight to keep it from moving when the summer heat heats up the electrical tape.

If you're going to solder (and solder the correct way, heating the wire and allowing the solder to melt into the wire), then there's NO need to create the eye and run the wire through it because simply wrapping the connecting wire around the stripped wire is sufficient and the proper solder job will insure that you have a good mechanical and conductive connection between the two.

Hope that helps!   Alarm installation -- posted image.

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
cheers folks
Thanks for the input.
Just wondering how other people do there connections

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic