icon

First time fiberglass enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Here is my first fiberglass enclosure.  Its almost done but here is start to finish.First time fiberglass enclosure -- posted image.

First time fiberglass enclosure -- posted image.

j68rh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry here are the rest of the pics!!!!

Well I don't think its not bad for the first attempt at doing a fiberglass enclosure.  I am up for some tips for my next one I do.

Thanks

Drocay 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  
not bad, but wut size is that tube and wuts it for?
j68rh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  

the tube is 12.5" in diameter and 11" in length.  I decide to do a tube enclosure instead of anything else.  I used the tube as part of the enclosure to get me the perfect cylinder size with out it colapsein.  Its pretty strong.

j68rh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

I'm getting fustrated I am sanding and sanding and i am having a hard time getting rid of the imperfections.  what can i do to fix the little imperfections I have used body filler.  What else can i do, just keep sanding?

Rick_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of imperfections? Pin holes, dips, low spots what?
Pin holes, coat the surface with glazing putty, real real thin coat. Got any pics?
Rick H...
j68rh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of pin holes couple of dips and low spots.  the only thing I can think of that is causing the low spots and dips is from the card board tube when I glassed it.  The only pics I have right now are the ones above.
Rick_h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Keep filling the lows and sanding the highs! The least fun part about making FB sutff!
If you are using Walmart bondo, do yourself a favor and get some good stuff, like rage gold or half time. They do not bubble and pin hole and sand like a dream. A gallon of rage is about 28 bucks retail at autobody supply house.
As for the pin holes, you gotta get some spot glazing. It is ready mixed and ready to use right out of the tube. Do not get too big of a tube unless you know you can use it up and put it on THIN.
Try to use someting flat to sand with, keep from cutting finger dents in it. With your project being round, you need a roll of emery cloth in 60 and 120 grit. It aint cheap but last forever. Tear you off a long peice and "shoe shine" your tube. That way you can avoid the finger dents.
Sand and fill sand and fill sand and fill...........
Thats what is all about!
Rick H...
Rick_h 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

Oh yea, after you apply a cost of putty and it is ready to sand, break the surface first with some cheap sand paper.  It will sand better and won't clog your good paper.

Rick H...

j68rh 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  Yeah i am just using regular bondo from like autozone.  I just had an Idea and wanted to try it.  my next ones I am going to take your advice and get the better stuff.  Its just that I am new to VA Beach so I am still learning the area to get the right stuff.  Your oppionion though how does it look?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic