icon

weird noise coming thru my subs and speak

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have two amps in my car and when the car is running and i turn the radio on, i can hear noise coming thru the speakers and subs. When i accelrate, it goes away, but as soon as i slow down i can hear it. I think i know what the problem is, I have the two sets of rcas running on the same side as the 0/1 guage power cable and im going to switch it to the other side but before i do this, I just want to be sure.

p.s. when i turn the deck off, that sound goes away so Im almost sure it is the rcas' Will this go away when i put them on the other side of the car seperate from the power wire? this has never happend to me before

goingcrazyonsound
Andries 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

It could make a difference, when you put the wire on the other side. If that still not work, try to ground your head unit on some place else. Some times the noise is coming from the head unit, but I am sure that if you place the wire on the other side, the noise would go away.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Garbled posts like that above happen when someone composes their response in a program like Works or Word and then cuts and pastes.  Please type you responses directly in the reply box on the site!

Your problem sounds like either a ground loop or possible noise induction into the RCAs.  Try re-routing the RCA cables, and if this doesn't help try improving your amp and head unit grounds.

Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Before you reroute your RCAs there is a simple way to check. Unplug the RCAs at the head unit. If the noise goes away it's the HU and you should look for a new ground, at the point the amps are grounded usually works best. If the noise is still there unplug the RCAs at the amp. If the noise goes away here it is the RCAs and you should reroute. If the noise is STILL there it's the amp. Try regrounding the amp or try a ground loop isulator. Also checking your battery connection for corrosion would slove an amp noise problem. Good luck.
armyranger 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

be sure the body of your amp is not directly grounded to your car. if you have it simply mounted directly on your trunk floor try mounting it to a piece of mdf or ply wood then mounting the wood to the car  

live like theres no tomarrow because today may be your last.
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2005 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

Im about to check everything right now just to make sure. I will let you guys know what the problem is after im done, or if it is something else.

Thanks

goingcrazyonsound
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
now, i checked some things out. Now the noise only comes on when i turn the deck on, so i unplugged the rca's and nothing came thru, then i switched the rca's to the other side and the noise still comes thru. Thing is, I am using to amps. One jbl 1200.bp1 amp for my subs and one 4 channel lanzar vibe 400" old model" not the junk new ones, and the noise only comes thru my 6.5 speakers and i think one of my 6x9's. So i am thinking its the ground but both amps share the same ground, running off a distrbution box using 4 guage cable and the ground is o/1 gauge. So if the ground was bad, wouldnt the subs have the noise to cause both amps share the same source? I dont think its the amplifier cause i bought it back in late 99 or 2000, and it has never been used until now, just sat in the box un opened for 5 years. Im going to change my ground anyways just to do it, and then i will check back and find out if that is the problem or if you guys know what it is. Thanks
goingcrazyonsound
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
This reminds me of a story I heard while working at Circuit where a very old lady comes in after a radio install and tells the installer that she hears voices comming from her radio. Installer asks when this occurs so maybe he can isolate and diagnose the problem. Old lady tells the installer that the voices are on all the time even when the car is off... Horrified, the installer quickly steps out from her car. She then suggests, "maybe it has something to do with the satellite radio" lol
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
i just took the ground out and tried a new ground and still the same sound. So i am just going to buy a ground loop and hope that solves the problem.
goingcrazyonsound
mbemount 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ground the RCA's themselves... that's helped me quite a few times....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic