the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Really Weird Electrical Problems - Ideas?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Did you try to jump it?
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't try jumping it, I could though. I got my battery tested today and the guys at the battery place said it was in good shape.
Any more ideas?
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Still think it's a ground problem
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Possibly...now that I think about it, it's possible that I'm getting a weak ground on my engine/tranny.
The reason I was working with my motor mounts was because I used to have a solid steel front tranny mount. Now I have a rubber/urethane mount instead, so the couple of ground wires that are attached to the block may not be doing their job well enough.
It tests fine with the multimeter, but maybe it's not a good enough ground for everything else. I'll have to try adding a good four-gauge ground wire to the tranny and see if that helps.
Would a weak ground on the engine/tranny cause everything in the car not to work at all though? It just doesn't make much sense to me.
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
strange-i would jump it and see what happens. if you have a haynes manual see if the car has a starter relay or any relay under the hood. it may be bad, but jump it first, if it jumps off then its not the starter or the relay.
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
I dunno Coomer we just got done putting a type R engine into a 93 integra and was wondering why the car started but window didn't roll up and why the engine died when the headlights were on... A week later found out that it was a ground prob. So you never know... I hope I'm right cause that would be cool; I'd know what I'm talking about for a change lol
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

Earth problem through and through! And I would almost say that it's a loose earth as well, suggested by the fact thatsomethings are working and then not working. Cable size will be playing a part as well if you have a faulty earth, it will struggle to get the full current down the lines and as such you. If I have read correctly.

Try measuring the voltage from the (+) terminal and various earth through out the car. Anymore then half a volt (I think) is where you will have a problem. But check every earth anyways......Probably don't need to tell you this, but have you checked for corrosion inside the battery clamps? and are they done upthight? I'm sorry that I asked that but it's quite a common mistake.

I have a mate who is a "mechanic" he didn't drive his hotrod for about 3 months because it refused to start, he searched high and low for the fault, he finally asked me to have a look at it for him, I gave the (+) clamp nut one turn and it started...goes to show it doesn't take much.

Check all advice given with a meter
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Today I added another ground to my battery, replaced my negative battery terminal, and added a good, four-gauge ground to my tranny. I've still got the same problems.
One member on my website suggested that it may be my alternator, or the power wire going to it. The big positive terminal on the alternator gives me +4 volts currently(with the car off, of course.) Is this normal?
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
You should still be able to jump it.
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Why would jumping it help? The battery isn't the problem.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic